Old 12-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Requester

Default Leyland Cypress

I need to know the following for planting Leyland Cypress trees:
1. root circumference
2. depth to plant
3. distance apart
4. how strong are the roots? will they knock over fences, break
concrete, crack walls, etc?
5. anyone have pics of thier lc tree they planted?
Old 12-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Pam

Requester wrote:

I need to know the following for planting Leyland Cypress trees:
1. root circumference
2. depth to plant
3. distance apart
4. how strong are the roots? will they knock over fences, break
concrete, crack walls, etc?
5. anyone have pics of thier lc tree they planted?

Root spread will increase with the height of the tree - you can figure
roughly that the root spread will mirror the height. Plant at the depth
it was in the nursery container and for screening purposes, space at the
mature spread (will vary with cultivar of LC, but 15' is a reasonable
spacing for most). Roots are dense but not particularly aggressive or
invasive - still, one would not be wise to consider planting this tree
too close to any permanent structure.

Leyland cypress are way too big to be considered for my small garden
(or most other urban gardens), but here is a good pic of a still fairly
young tree:
http://www.uah.edu/admin/Fac/images/naylor.jpg

pam - gardengal

Old 12-05-2003, 11:20 PM
V_coerulea

Leylandii cypress ar such a pretty tree left untrimmed, I don't know why
anyone would want to trim them if planted responsibly. Who would erect a 50'
fence with their neighbor? I guess there are some who would like to, but
here in SC, they grow about 2'/ year depending on care up to about 20'. They
then seem to gradually slow in growth but are still no slouches. As such, I
would not plant them within 20' of a building or 10' of a walk or drive, not
so much for the roots as the overall size. They root nicely and I'm about to
plant some more.

om...

Old 13-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

V_coerulea wrote:

Leylandii cypress ar such a pretty tree left untrimmed, I don't know why
anyone would want to trim them if planted responsibly. Who would erect a 50'
fence with their neighbor?

Someone with an apartment building for a neighbor.

I guess there are some who would like to, but
here in SC, they grow about 2'/ year depending on care up to about 20'. They
then seem to gradually slow in growth but are still no slouches. As such, I
would not plant them within 20' of a building or 10' of a walk or drive, not
so much for the roots as the overall size. They root nicely and I'm about to
plant some more.

om..

Old 19-05-2003, 10:32 PM

yes i love these trees i bought 4 more a week ago. =20
"V_coerulea" wrote in message =
Leylandii cypress ar such a pretty tree left untrimmed, I don't know =

why
anyone would want to trim them if planted responsibly. Who would erect =

a 50'
fence with their neighbor? I guess there are some who would like to, =

but
here in SC, they grow about 2'/ year depending on care up to about =

20'. They
then seem to gradually slow in growth but are still no slouches. As =

such, I
would not plant them within 20' of a building or 10' of a walk or =

drive, not
so much for the roots as the overall size. They root nicely and I'm =

about to
plant some more.
=20
"Requester" wrote in message
om...
I need to know the following for planting Leyland Cypress trees:
1. root circumference
2. depth to plant
3. distance apart
4. how strong are the roots? will they knock over fences, break
concrete, crack walls, etc?
5. anyone have pics of thier lc tree they planted?

=20
=20

[IMG] code is On

Leyland cypress turned brown-help! The Popovics Gardening 0 07-04-2003 02:08 AM
How do Leyland Cypress fare in Austin? Jer Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Propogating Leyland Cypress... TakeThisOut Gardening 2 02-04-2003 04:56 PM
leyland cypress HI HI- Gardening 0 24-03-2003 12:20 AM
leyland cypress Mark or Travis Gardening 13 23-03-2003 04:44 PM