Old 14-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Stacia

Default Strange Mutant Soil From Beyond

I just got some tuberous begonia bulbs and planted them with Scott's
potting soil, left about 3/4 inch of space from the top of the dirt to the
rim of the pot, watered the little critters and left them outside per
instructions. The next day the soil had swelled to about an inch above
the pot! What the hell? The soil was used with other plants and it
didn't swell then.
What can I do to save my bulbs, dig them out and replant? They've only
been in the soil for 3 days so I presume that would be okay.
Also, are aliens involved?

* * *
Stacia * * http://world.std.com/~stacia/
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall
Old 15-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Surfs Up

Are you sure the soil didn't have the crystals that expand when soaking up
water? Maybe they had settled in the bag and it didn't affect your first
planting?

Old 15-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Pam

Stacia wrote:

I just got some tuberous begonia bulbs and planted them with Scott's
potting soil, left about 3/4 inch of space from the top of the dirt to the
rim of the pot, watered the little critters and left them outside per
instructions. The next day the soil had swelled to about an inch above
the pot! What the hell? The soil was used with other plants and it
didn't swell then.
What can I do to save my bulbs, dig them out and replant? They've only
been in the soil for 3 days so I presume that would be okay.
Also, are aliens involved?

Removing the bulbs, then removing a sufficient amount of soil and replanting
should be fine.

No aliens, but I bet your potting soil had water retention crystals mixed in
it. Once moistened, they will swell several times their size and could easily
result in the soil displacement. Either that or the soil had dried out
considerably since your previous use - because potting soil typically contains
a fair amount of peat, which when it dries out is very difficult to remoisten,
you could be experiencing a "floating" effect with the moistened soil rising
above the original level.

pam - gardengal

Old 15-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Stacia

"Surfs Up" writes:

Are you sure the soil didn't have the crystals that expand when soaking up
water? Maybe they had settled in the bag and it didn't affect your first
planting?

That must have been the case. I threw the bag away already so I was
really at a loss! I probably thought the crystals were the phosphorous
advertised on the bag. I replanted the bulbs and put the extra dirt on
the tomato plant, who I am fertilizing because he looks terrible. I'm
thinking about talking to the little guy until he perks up.
So far my only success are the gladiolas. But it's my first year of
gardening so I guess I can't expect too much. (Ha ha right.)

* * *