Old 10-11-2005, 05:34 PM
tab

Default Ivy and trees

Would I be right in thinking that if ivy is left to grow up the trunk of a
tree that it will eventually kill off the tree.Thanks in advance for answers
to this.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
tab wrote:
Would I be right in thinking that if ivy is left to grow up the trunk of a
tree that it will eventually kill off the tree.Thanks in advance for answers
to this.

No.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Rod Craddock

"tab" wrote in message
Would I be right in thinking that if ivy is left to grow up the
trunk of a tree that it will eventually kill off the tree.Thanks in
advance for answers to this.

No. Watch this space ;}}

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Brian

"tab" wrote in message
Would I be right in thinking that if ivy is left to grow up the trunk of a
tree that it will eventually kill off the tree.Thanks in advance for

answers
to this.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Ivy is unsightly covering a tree but does no harm. On stone work or
wood it can be a problem.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:34 PM
JennyC

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

"tab" wrote in message
Would I be right in thinking that if ivy is left to grow up the trunk of a
tree that it will eventually kill off the tree.Thanks in advance for

answers
to this.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Ivy is unsightly covering a tree but does no harm. On stone work or
wood it can be a problem.
Best Wishes Brian.

Once upon a time I compiled a FAQ about this from postings in URG........
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqivy.html

Jenny :~)

Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
tab

"...
Would I be right in thinking that if ivy is left to grow up the trunk
of a
tree that it will eventually kill off the tree.Thanks in advance for

answers
to this.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Ivy is unsightly covering a tree but does no harm. On stone work or
wood it can be a problem.
Best Wishes Brian.

Once upon a time I compiled a FAQ about this from postings in URG........
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqivy.html

Jenny :~)

Thanks for all replies.Im convinced it is Ok

Old 10-11-2005, 07:49 PM
ned

"tab" wrote in message

"...
Would I be right in thinking that if ivy is left to grow up the

trunk
of a
tree that it will eventually kill off the tree.Thanks in

advance for
answers
to this.

snip

Thanks for all replies.Im convinced it is Ok

........... Ah but,
true, the ivy will not actually 'infect' or hinder the tree growth
but,
when winter winds doth blow the extra windage caused by the mass of
ivy leaf growth might just be enough to get the tree blown over.
Whereas an ivy-less tree of similar stature would survive.
I have a 75ft Ash growing t'other side of our boundary ditch and
didn't want that straddling our property. When the ivy base stems got
to 3inches in diameter, I decided enough was enough and severed them
........ with the owner's knowledge. I know that it is not an instant
solution. The existing ivy growth will take a year to die back.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 08.11.2005

Old 11-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab
Would I be right in thinking that if ivy is left to grow up the trunk of a
tree that it will eventually kill off the tree.Thanks in advance for answers
to this.
In extreme cases it can be harmful, not direcvtly killing the tree but the added weight and wind resistance can cause problems. If the tree is already a weak example then it can be more serious.
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Tumbleweed

"tab" wrote in message
Would I be right in thinking that if ivy is left to grow up the trunk of a
tree that it will eventually kill off the tree.Thanks in advance for
answers to this.

Nope (as per the other posters)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Ivy and trees Judy and Dave G Gardening 4 19-05-2003 11:08 PM