Old 18-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Shepherd

Default Crabgrass

Is there an organic means of getting rid of crabgrass? I've read about
letting the grass get about three inches before cutting to block the
crabgrass out, but I have one area of my lawn that is nothing but crabgrass
and that method just does not work.

Shepherd.

Old 18-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Timothy

On Sun, 18 May 2003 00:43:08 +0000, Shepherd wrote:

Is there an organic means of getting rid of crabgrass? I've read about
letting the grass get about three inches before cutting to block the
crabgrass out, but I have one area of my lawn that is nothing but
crabgrass and that method just does not work.

Shepherd.

Yes there is . Corn gluten meal can help to reduce your crab grass 50 to
60 percent the first year. Here's a link.
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/greenli...gl9904.03.html

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 18-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Cereoid-UR12

The most organic method for removing crabgrass is the time honored tradition
of yanking it out with your bare hands!!! Are you up to the challenge? Since
you are a shepherd, maybe you should use sheep to get rid of it?

Old 18-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Shepherd

.com...

Shepherd wrote in message

Is there an organic means of getting rid of crabgrass? I've read about
letting the grass get about three inches before cutting to block the
crabgrass out, but I have one area of my lawn that is nothing but

crabgrass
and that method just does not work.

Shepherd.

Well, in the first place pulling crabgrass out with the bare hands is
mechanical, not organic.

Secondly using bare hands to pull weeds of any kind is stupid.

Lastly, I am not a shepherd. My name is Shepherd.

Thanks anyway.

Shepherd

Old 18-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 18 May 2003 00:43:08 GMT, Shepherd sticksnorstones@. wrote:

Is there an organic means of getting rid of crabgrass? I've read about
letting the grass get about three inches before cutting to block the
crabgrass out, but I have one area of my lawn that is nothing but crabgrass
and that method just does not work.

Till and reseed with a good quality grass seed in late summer/early fall.
Mow high and properly the following years. Crabgrass is an annual that
germinates in very early spring, but does its heaviest growing in the
summer.

Old 18-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Ann

"Shepherd" expounded:

Secondly using bare hands to pull weeds of any kind is stupid.

Well, no, it isn't. Using chemicals to kill easily pulled weeds is
stupid. Crabgrass, however, isn't easy to deal with by hand.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 18-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 18 May 2003 07:48:54 -0400, Ann wrote:

"Shepherd" expounded:

Secondly using bare hands to pull weeds of any kind is stupid.

Well, no, it isn't. Using chemicals to kill easily pulled weeds is
stupid. Crabgrass, however, isn't easy to deal with by hand.

If it is, I guess Shepard just called me stupid. Pulling weeds after
a soaking rain will help prevent breaking the roots. What is so nice
about this technique is that no special tools are needed.
Old 18-05-2003, 02:20 PM
animaux

On Sun, 18 May 2003 02:37:25 GMT, "Shepherd" wrote:

Well, in the first place pulling crabgrass out with the bare hands is
mechanical, not organic.

Secondly using bare hands to pull weeds of any kind is stupid.

Lastly, I am not a shepherd. My name is Shepherd.

Thanks anyway.

Shepherd

Because a product, chemical, natural or synthetic is not being used is indeed
accepted by the certified organic standards. Gardening is a verb. I pull all
my weeds, but I do wear gloves.
Old 18-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Shepherd

"Ann" wrote in message
"Shepherd" expounded:

Secondly using bare hands to pull weeds of any kind is stupid.

Well, no, it isn't. Using chemicals to kill easily pulled weeds is
stupid. Crabgrass, however, isn't easy to deal with by hand.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
********************************

The key word here is BARE, not handed.

If you enjoy pulling weeds with your BARE hands that is fine with me, but I
think I will continue wearing my work gloves to pull weeds.

Shepherd

Old 18-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Shepherd

wrote:

Well, in the first place pulling crabgrass out with the bare hands is
mechanical, not organic.

Secondly using bare hands to pull weeds of any kind is stupid.

Lastly, I am not a shepherd. My name is Shepherd.

Thanks anyway.

Shepherd

Because a product, chemical, natural or synthetic is not being used is

indeed
accepted by the certified organic standards. Gardening is a verb. I pull

all
my weeds, but I do wear gloves.

Gardening is also a noun meaning the cultivation of plants.

Old 19-05-2003, 04:20 AM
animaux

On Sun, 18 May 2003 20:52:54 GMT, "Shepherd" wrote:

Gardening is also a noun meaning the cultivation of plants.

"Garden" is a noun. "Gardening" is a verb.
Old 19-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Shepherd

wrote:

Gardening is also a noun meaning the cultivation of plants.

"Garden" is a noun. "Gardening" is a verb.

WordWeb Pro

Noun: gardening
1. The cultivation of plants

Verb: garden
1. Work in the garden

Merriam-Webster's Unabridged Dictionary

Main Entry: gardening

Function: noun
Inflected Form:-s
Etymology:from gerund of 2garden

: the laying out or care of gardens

Random House Unabridged Dictionary

gar·den·ing (gärdÆning), n.

1. the act of cultivating or tending a garden.

2. the work or art of a gardener.

[1570-80; GARDEN + -ING1]

Old 19-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Shepherd

wrote:

Gardening is also a noun meaning the cultivation of plants.

"Garden" is a noun. "Gardening" is a verb.

Dictionary.com

gardening
\Gar"den*ing\, n. The art of occupation of laying out and cultivating
gardens; horticulture.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA,
Inc.

gardening

n : the cultivation of plants [syn: horticulture]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

Old 19-05-2003, 01:20 PM
pelirojaroja

Gardening is indeed a noun -- it's a gerund.

From Bartleby:

Gerunds are verb forms ending in -ing that act as nouns. They can be the
subject of a sentence (Skiing is her favorite sport), the object of a verb
(She enjoys skiing), or the object of a preposition (She devoted her free
time to skiing). Gerunds can be modified like nouns (That book makes for
difficult reading). But they can also act like verbs in that they can take
an object (Convincing him was never easy) and be modified by an adverb
(Walking daily can improve your health).

Those are examples of a gerund. Here's a good website to explain their use.

http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/gerund.htm

-- (Sorry, but I teach high-school English!)
-- pelirojaroja

Old 19-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Shepherd

"pelirojaroja" wrote in message
Gardening is indeed a noun -- it's a gerund.

From Bartleby:

wrote:

Gardening is also a noun meaning the cultivation of plants.

"Garden" is a noun. "Gardening" is a verb.

Thanks pelirojaroja. I also make my living from the use of words. I
construct crossword puzzles for many local and national publications and
syndicates.

Shepherd

[IMG] code is On

Crabgrass Preventer Ralph Therien Gardening 4 19-07-2003 01:12 PM
CRABGRASS! JNJ Gardening 2 09-05-2003 07:20 PM
Pre-emergent crabgrass killer David S Lawns 1 17-04-2003 12:32 PM
Correct ground temperature for Crabgrass preventer application Scott Lawns 3 13-04-2003 10:08 PM
seed in fall before spring crabgrass preventer? E Gardener Gardening 5 28-01-2003 12:14 AM