Old 18-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Gary

Default Swiss Chard & Beets turning brown

For the past few years, I have not had good luck with my beets and swiss
chard (red variety). The leaves seem to turn brown when they get to be
about 4" long, and the plants do not thrive well. Sometimes about half of
the leaf on each stem shrivels up to nothing. I've tried planting in
different parts of the garden (which is partly shaded), added manure, etc.
The soil is relatively good in my garden and the spinach and lettuce do
well. I water by sprinkling, but I do it after the sun is down, so I don't
think it is sunburn. Also the garden is pretty well protected from wind. I
live in Western Colorado, where the soil tends to be a little alkaline.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

Old 19-05-2003, 03:44 PM
jcart003

I am not at all sure, I am in the east and have very few problems with
bugs on swiss chard, I have had some leaf miners, but they plague
spinach more....I have friends who have problems with blister beetles
but that is later in the season. Boron deficiency has been a problem
for me, but I think it tended to show as root problems. Finally
consider bacterial blights since you water at night and therefore the
foliage stays wet longer. I was raised in SLC UT and know the reason
for watering at night, but it does increase disease pressure. Watering
in the sunshine will not burn the leaves, at least fro a hardened
plant, which only takes a couple of days out of the greenhouse!

Old 19-05-2003, 04:20 PM
simy1

"Gary" wrote in message ...
For the past few years, I have not had good luck with my beets and swiss
chard (red variety). The leaves seem to turn brown when they get to be
about 4" long, and the plants do not thrive well. Sometimes about half of
the leaf on each stem shrivels up to nothing. I've tried planting in
different parts of the garden (which is partly shaded), added manure, etc.
The soil is relatively good in my garden and the spinach and lettuce do
well. I water by sprinkling, but I do it after the sun is down, so I don't
think it is sunburn. Also the garden is pretty well protected from wind. I
live in Western Colorado, where the soil tends to be a little alkaline.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

Gary, this is probably not the soil, because both like it around pH 7
(so do spinach and lettuce). However, both shade and sprinkling are
less well tolerated by chard and beet than by spinach and lettuce.
They need more sunlight, and in my case, they develop rot on the
leaves when the summer gets humid (I water under the plants with a
hose, and never touch the plants, but they still get it). Suggest you
try to grow them in the sunniest spot you have away from sprinklers.
Keep in mind that their roots go down six feet when the plant is
mature (unless you have hardpan). Infrequent, deep watering plus mulch
will get them going. It is not too late to start a new batch, in fact
you have plenty of time.
Old 19-05-2003, 04:32 PM
simy1

"Gary" wrote in message ...
For the past few years, I have not had good luck with my beets and swiss
chard (red variety). The leaves seem to turn brown when they get to be
about 4" long, and the plants do not thrive well. Sometimes about half of
the leaf on each stem shrivels up to nothing. I've tried planting in
different parts of the garden (which is partly shaded), added manure, etc.
The soil is relatively good in my garden and the spinach and lettuce do
well. I water by sprinkling, but I do it after the sun is down, so I don't
think it is sunburn. Also the garden is pretty well protected from wind. I
live in Western Colorado, where the soil tends to be a little alkaline.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

Also, the white chard is substantially more productive and easier
growing (more tolerant of acid soil and/or cold, in my case) than the
red variety. I discontinued the latter years ago.
Old 21-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Gary

(simy1) wrote in message om...
"Gary" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks for your reply. I think the main problem is shade. Several
years ago, the trees around my house were not nearly as big as they
are now, so I have a lot more shade than I used to have. Probably the
beets and chard don't like the extra shade they have been getting over
the past few years.
Thanks for your advice.
Gary

[IMG] code is On

Swiss chard NewShmoo Edible Gardening 0 28-06-2011 06:28 PM
Swiss Chard bolting : Still edible ? MrMe Edible Gardening 13 30-05-2008 01:17 AM
swiss chard cricket Edible Gardening 1 13-07-2005 01:35 AM
Swiss Chard? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 7 22-04-2005 03:34 PM
Seeds/Swiss chard SugarChile Edible Gardening 3 22-04-2004 06:02 AM