Old 19-05-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Lucky Bamboo: How to raise one?

I bought a small Luck Bamboo at Walmart just for the
heck of it.

I really know nothing abt them other than they are easy
to grow.

It came in a small container that appears to be filled
with glass marbles and some foam.

Can and should I remove it from this container and
plant in a bigger container?

If yes.... what container? And what type of soil or
"medium"?

I understand that all the really need is to be kept
wet. If yes....can you just plant it in something like
glass marbles?

Also....can I set it outside for the summer? And how
big will it get eventually?

Thanks in advance!
Old 19-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 19 May 2003 11:53:41 -0400, john63401 wrote:

I bought a small Luck Bamboo at Walmart just for the heck of it.

I really know nothing abt them other than they are easy to grow.

It came in a small container that appears to be filled with glass marbles
and some foam.

Can and should I remove it from this container and plant in a bigger
container?

If yes.... what container? And what type of soil or "medium"?

I understand that all the really need is to be kept wet. If yes....can
you just plant it in something like glass marbles?

Also....can I set it outside for the summer? And how big will it get
eventually?

Thanks in advance!

If you do a Google search you'll learn what to do. Basically, moderate
light (no sun), LEave it in the container with water at the bottom up to
about an inch. That's all there is to it. Some plant it in soil, mine is
in a small vase with an inch of water on the bottom and it gets low-medium
light.
Old 19-05-2003, 07:20 PM

If you do a Google search you'll learn what to do. Basically, moderate
light (no sun), LEave it in the container with water at the bottom up to
about an inch. That's all there is to it. Some plant it in soil, mine is
in a small vase with an inch of water on the bottom and it gets low-medium
light.

OK

However the Walmart container it came in is very
small..... abt the size of a soda can. And its very
un-stable...wnats to fall over all the time.

Shouldnt I plant it in something bigger, more stable,
better looking?

If yes......what kind of planting "medium"?
Old 19-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Cereoid-UR12

Its not "Lucky", nor a bamboo nor even from the Orient.

There's not a whit of Feng Shui to it either.

Its Dracaena sanderiana, a weedy shrubby species originally from tropical
Africa and mass produced in Thailand.

There should have been a care sheet attached to the plant.

Check out their website for info on how to take care of it and more of their
hype:

http://www.luckybamboomarket.com

If you never fertilize it or put it in soil it will eventually die from
malnutrition.

Treat it like any other Dracaena grown as a houseplant.

Old 19-05-2003, 09:56 PM
V_coerulea

I believe they're just some sort of dracaena or close relative. I think if
you put them in soil they might tend to grow more dracaena-like, more
robust. Put them in whatever decorative water container and enjoy them as a
"cut flower". Possibly a little dilute fertilizer will help if the plant has
roots and some sun.

Old 19-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12

You should read the previous postings in this thread.

The question was already answered.

Its Dracaena sanderiana from tropical Africa.

If not given fertilizer or not potted up in soil, the plants eventually die
despite false claims to the contrary.

wrote in message
I bought a small Luck Bamboo at Walmart just for the
heck of it.

I really know nothing abt them other than they are easy
to grow.

It came in a small container that appears to be filled
with glass marbles and some foam.

Can and should I remove it from this container and
plant in a bigger container?

If yes.... what container? And what type of soil or
"medium"?

I understand that all the really need is to be kept
wet. If yes....can you just plant it in something like
glass marbles?

Also....can I set it outside for the summer? And how
big will it get eventually?

Thanks in advance!

[IMG] code is On

What's wrong with my lucky bamboo? Alwyn Williams United Kingdom 2 18-07-2007 11:17 AM
Lucky Bamboo Merrill Speeter Gardening 18 15-04-2003 12:32 PM
Lucky bamboo? Karen Texas 23 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Lucky bamboo? Karen Texas 5 27-03-2003 09:56 AM
Lucky Bamboo Indoor Plant TheresaKyn Bamboo 1 10-03-2003 08:24 AM