Old 19-05-2003, 09:44 PM
ellie clemens

Default Narcissus ripped up by "garden" service - what to do? Help!

Last fall I planted some narcissus bulbs that I think are a type I've
been searching for for many years. I saw them in a friend's garden, she
gave me bulbs, and I was eagerly awaiting their flowering to see if they
had the same scent as the ones from long ago in my mother's garden.
Well, this past weekend a so called garden service came in to clear out
some old beds, and they attacked this one - which was supposed to be off
limits - and the idiot of a guy ripped the leaves off of all my
narcissus. Along with some very expensive daylilies but that's another
rant. Well, since he was such an idiot he also didn't know that weeding
entails pulling up roots, so all he did was rip off the tops of all the
things he savaged. So here I am with these narcissus bulbs lurking
there underground somewhere. Obviously, I could just let them stay
there and wait until next year. But I'm moving to a new house and was
planning on taking these bulbs. So should I dig them up now or wait to
see if they put up some leaves? Don't know how the poor things are
going to survive without any leaves at all....

--
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^ ~^~^~^~^~^~^~

http://www.ellieclemens.com

Old 19-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Cereoid-UR12

It just goes to show that not just any incompetent moron can do gardening.
Wonder if the doofus was a certified Master Gardener? Fire your "garden
service" and tell them why. I bet you would love to have some other
"service" come and beat the crap out of the idiot for you!!

The leaves that the numskull pulled off were all that the Narcissus will
produce for this year.

Dig them up while you still know where they are and the fool does anything
else nutty to the garden. They have no chance of ripening properly to
produce flowers for next year.

Fortunately, the dayliles should produce new foliage if they are left alone.

Old 20-05-2003, 01:44 AM
ellie

This garden service will nee be coming back, and they know why. Thanks
for the information about the narcissus not producing any more leaves.
I'll dig them up tomorrow and save them away to plant at my new house.
We've never before hired gardeners (so called). We only did it now
because getting everything in the house ready for showing put me way
behind in gardening chores. And now I'm just as far behind, since they
left as many weeds as the plants they pulled up. I think their
algorithm was that anything closer than 12 inches from the edge of the
bed was a weed. What a couple of morons.

Thanks,

-ellie

Cereoid-UR12 wrote:
[...]

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^ ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

http://www.ellieclemens.com

Old 20-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 19 May 2003 20:35:18 GMT, ellie clemens
wrote:

[...]

Note to all -- get some references and *call* before hiring anyone for
yard work. Easy to say; not so easy to remember when a touring circus
offers to clean everything up. The advantage of engaging a licensed
business is that you have some (small) chance of reparation.

Let's hope your Narcissis had gotten enough sun and growth to sustain
'em. I would leave them as long as possible, hoping for a little
renewed growth, and marking the area for digging up when you move. A
not-so-knowledgable but careful service I had years ago very kindly
presented me with a box of the (done blooming) bulbs they'd
encountered. All those did splendidly, as did the ones shifted around
but left more or less in place.
Old 22-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Doug Kanter

Your daylillies are pretty tough characters. They'll be back. As for the
"gardeners" who attempted to murder your bulbs, I suggest buying and
introducing them to this handy garden tool:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/admin/te...=sw160927.jpg&
model=625