Old 21-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Bjoern Bartusch

Default Ginkgo Biloba

Hi,

maybe someone someone knows the answer for this:

When Ginkgo trees are grown from seeds, how many percent of the plants can
be expected to be female and how many to be male? The point is that I have
two plants that are grown from seeds and I want to know how likely it is that
I have at least one female tree. A female tree would be a good addition to
my three cuttings that are very likely male....

Bjoern

Old 22-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Huck

If you are just talking about randomly picking up seeds off the ground, I
think its about 50-50 male/female. Remember that most people will not buy
female ginkgos because the fruit smells like dog poop. You may have a
female and not know it because it takes about 20 years for a female to bear
fruit. When it fruits, you will know and so will your neighbors with
working noses.

-Huck

Old 22-05-2003, 07:20 AM

and I heard they smell like rotting human flesh .. well, some people apparently strip
the fruit off (using gloves) and process the seeds for consumption.
http://www.boldweb.com/greenweb/2977.htm
Ingrid

"Huck" wrote:
If you are just talking about randomly picking up seeds off the ground, I
think its about 50-50 male/female. Remember that most people will not buy
female ginkgos because the fruit smells like dog poop.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 22-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Bjoern Bartusch

It smells like rotting flesh I heard (butrycid acid or so). But since female
trees are rarer than male clones I actually hope to have a female tree.
For the rate: I doubt that it is 50-50. Someone once wrote that he saw
6 female trees in a street all grown from seeds. He thought it happens
only 1 times out of 64 times (with 6 trees). But it is more likely that
the rate for female trees is somewhat higher than for male trees...

: If you are just talking about randomly picking up seeds off the ground, I
: think its about 50-50 male/female. Remember that most people will not buy
: female ginkgos because the fruit smells like dog poop. You may have a
: female and not know it because it takes about 20 years for a female to bear
: fruit. When it fruits, you will know and so will your neighbors with
: working noses.

[IMG] code is On

Website Ginkgo biloba CorK Gardening 0 18-10-2003 11:22 PM
[IBC] Ginkgo biloba air layering Daniel Avrin Bonsai 4 20-06-2003 08:08 PM
Ginkgo Biloba Bjoern Bartusch Plant Science 8 05-06-2003 09:18 AM
[IBC] Ginkgo Biloba Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 22-05-2003 01:44 PM
Ginkgo Biloba Bjoern Bartusch Bonsai 0 21-05-2003 10:32 PM