Old 21-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Bjoern Bartusch

Default Ginkgo Biloba

A question about Ginkgo Biloba trees:

I have five very young trees. Three are cuttings and therefor very likely to
be male. The two others look like to be grown from seeds. Now my question:
how many Ginkgos from 100 seeds are male and how many are female? I vaguely
remember there would be more female than male plants, but what are the exact
numbers?

Bjoern

Old 21-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Cereoid-UR12

You are not dealing with exact numbers here, only probabilities.

Ideally the numbers would be 50/50.

Old 02-06-2003, 01:56 AM
whiteMemphis

"Bjoern Bartusch" wrote in message
A question about Ginkgo Biloba trees:

I have five very young trees. Three are cuttings and therefor very likely

be male. The two others look like to be grown from seeds. Now my question:
how many Ginkgos from 100 seeds are male and how many are female? I

vaguely
remember there would be more female than male plants, but what are the

exact
numbers?

Bjoern

If you're asking because you want to know the sex of the seedlings as
distinct from just general interest, you would have to have them sexed with
a sex profiling procedure (similar to if you send a feather of a
hard-to-sex bird to a sexing lab.) On the other hand if you're planning to
live a long long life and your plants flower you'll know they're female.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:08 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

whiteMemphis schreef
On the other hand if you're planning to

live a long long life and your plants flower you'll know they're female.

+ + +
If someone plans to use this strategy he had better plan to live a little
longer and see if the flowers yield fruits ('male' flowers don't)

On the other hand he could trust to other characteristics for sexing his
trees
PvR

Old 03-06-2003, 02:46 AM
whiteMemphis

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
whiteMemphis schreef
On the other hand if you're planning to

live a long long life and your plants flower you'll know they're female.

+ + +
If someone plans to use this strategy he had better plan to live a little
longer and see if the flowers yield fruits ('male' flowers don't)

oops! yeah what I shoulda said was 'fruit' not flower, I'm losing my
edge, better up my dose of Gingko

Old 03-06-2003, 01:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

whiteMemphis schreef
On the other hand if you're planning to

live a long long life and your plants flower you'll know they're female.

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote
If someone plans to use this strategy he had better plan to live a

little longer and see if the flowers yield fruits ('male' flowers don't)

whiteMemphis schreef
oops! yeah what I shoulda said was 'fruit' not flower, I'm losing my

edge, better up my dose of Gingko

+ + +
must be a new method of achieving longevity by applying Ginkgo:
planting a 'male' tree and refusing to die before it yields fruit
PvR

Old 04-06-2003, 01:08 AM
whiteMemphis

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
whiteMemphis schreef
"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote
If someone plans to use this strategy he had better plan to live a

little longer and see if the flowers yield fruits ('male' flowers don't)

+ + +
must be a new method of achieving longevity by applying Ginkgo:
planting a 'male' tree and refusing to die before it yields fruit
PvR

lol, at last, the secret of eternal life, now I'll outlast Windows

Website Ginkgo biloba CorK Gardening 0 18-10-2003 11:22 PM
[IBC] Ginkgo biloba air layering Daniel Avrin Bonsai 4 20-06-2003 08:08 PM
[IBC] Ginkgo Biloba Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 22-05-2003 01:44 PM
Ginkgo Biloba Bjoern Bartusch Gardening 3 22-05-2003 10:20 AM
Ginkgo Biloba Bjoern Bartusch Bonsai 0 21-05-2003 10:32 PM