Old 23-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Fleemo

Default Day Lilies Lethal to Cats???

I just read this brief article (shown below) that states that most
forms of lilies are fatal to pets. I happen to be a cat owner as well
as a day lily fanatic. I'm sure it's not an unusual circumstance to
have cats and day lilies on your property. Anyone here ever have a
problem? Should I be consdering yanking out my precious day lilies?

-Fleemo

FELINE HEALTH ALERT: LILIES CAN BE LETHAL

In an effort to keep companion felines everywhere happy and healthy,
the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has partnered with the
Cat Fanciers Association (CFA) in a campaign to educate companion
animal caretakers about the potential dangers of lilies. These popular
springtime plants--including Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily,
Japanese show lily and some day lilies--can cause kidney failure in
cats if ingested. Last year alone, the center handled more than 200
cases of cats who had ingested a Lilium species. Signs of toxicosis,
such as vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite, may appear within a
few hours of ingestion, and will continue to worsen as damage to the
kidneys progresses. If left untreated, kidney failure can develop in
36 to 72 hours. "Unfortunately, all parts of the lily are considered
toxic to cats," says the APCC's Dr. Sharon Gwaltney-Brant. "Consuming
even small amounts can be life-threatening."

You can keep the feline members of your family safe and sound simply
by removing all dangerous plants from their access. We also encourage
you to consider safer, and just as beautiful, alternatives to lilies,
such as African violets and Easter, tiger and lace orchids. Visit APCC
online http://www.aspca.org/site/R?i=WZdZ--0ZG1sXSXLRAGHJvQ.. for
informational
materials to help you identify potentially harmful members of the lily
family, including photos of dangerous species and a list of nontoxic
plants.
Old 24-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Zemedelec

These popular
springtime plants--including Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily,
Japanese show lily and some day lilies--can cause kidney failure in
cats if ingested. Last year alone, the center handled . "Unfortunately, all
parts of the lily are considered
toxic to cats," says the APCC's Dr. Sharon Gwaltney-Brant. "Consuming
even small amounts can be life-threatening."

You can keep the feline members of your family safe and sound simply
by removing all dangerous plants from their access.

The simplest way for both cats and lilies to cooexist healthily: keep the
lilies outdoors and the cats indoors. An added benefit: warmer relatioships
with neighbors who don't like their property used as a litter box. Cats will
be cats.
zemedelec
Old 24-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Charles

On 23 May 2003 11:37:45 -0700, (Fleemo) wrote:

[...]

Day lilies are not listed in the book "Poisonous Plants of
California." Cats are sometimes sensitive, I have read that dog food
can be poisonous to them.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

Old 24-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Fleemo

First of all, I've had cats and gardens with lilies in them for years
and have NEVER had a problem.

Well, that's a comforting thought.

Secondly, daylilies aren't true lilies, and that seems to be what

this article is talking about.

To quote the article, "These popular springtime plants--including
Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily, Japanese show lily and some day
lilies--can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested." So they are
including "some" day lilies in the poisonous group.

Day lilies aren't Lilium. I don't know whether they're poisonous or not, but
I've never seen cats eating them. Is your cat inclined to eat random plants?

Actually, I did see my cat chewing on the grass-like stalks last week.
No obvious ill effects to date, but I am concerned.

-F
Old 24-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

(Fleemo) wrote:

I just read this brief article (shown below) that states that most
forms of lilies are fatal to pets. I happen to be a cat owner as well
as a day lily fanatic. I'm sure it's not an unusual circumstance to
have cats and day lilies on your property. Anyone here ever have a
problem? Should I be consdering yanking out my precious day lilies?

FELINE HEALTH ALERT: LILIES CAN BE LETHAL

In an effort to keep companion felines everywhere happy and healthy,
the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has partnered with the
Cat Fanciers Association (CFA) in a campaign to educate companion
animal caretakers about the potential dangers of lilies. These popular
springtime plants--including Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily,
Japanese show lily and some day lilies--can cause kidney failure in
cats if ingested.

I would ask them for some proof that the daylilies (and get
names) are toxic. They aren't in the same family as the Easter
and other Liliums. They are "Hemerocallis".

I'm seeing a lot of flat statements,lumping daylilies in with the
Liliums, with no research being cited. They must all be parroting
something they read somewhere.

The UC Davis site has this:
"Possibly toxic: Information on these plants is incomplete.
Ingestions of small amounts would not be expected to cause
problems."

http://wellness.ucdavis.edu/safety_i...of_plants.html
That page lists almost every plant known to gardeners ...

http://petcare.umn.edu/FAQ/Toxicology/Plants.htm lists them as
synonomous with Liliums, which I SERIOUSLY doubt.
Easter lily
Lilium sp., Hemerocallis sp.
Unknown; causes renal failure in cats, may see signs even after
minimal exposure Vomiting within hours of exposure, renal
failure within 24 hours with depression, vomiting, dehydration,
disorientation

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 24-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Ian

I have toad lilies, trumpet lilies, and a whack of day lilies. My cats chew
on the leaves of the day lilies.

No problems yet.

I was worried too, especially after my vet warned of lilies in January after
doing blood work on one of my cats before dental surgery. This cat showed
high levels of creatine (I think that was it) which is indicative of kidney
problems. However, it is my other cat that loves to chew on the day lilies,
and his blood work was fine.

My wife and I thought about keeping the cats indoors (fenced yard, cats
never ever leave our yard), but they love their trips outside. Also thought
about removing the lilies, but the day lilies are just too beautiful to get
rid of.

So we will monitor, and chase our cats away from the day lilies when they
head to them for their snack.

I am leaning on the advice of many here, that day lilies have incorrectly
been bunched together with the other lilies.

"Ann" wrote in message
(Fleemo) expounded:

Should I be consdering yanking out my precious day lilies?

First of all, I've had cats and gardens with lilies in them for years
and have NEVER had a problem.

Secondly, daylilies aren't true lilies, and that seems to be what this
article is talking about. Daylilies are in the genus hemerocallis,
their flowers resemble lilies and last a day, thus their name.

I wouldn't worry about it.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 25-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Trish K.

Frogleg wrote:

On 23 May 2003 11:37:45 -0700, (Fleemo) wrote:

I just read this brief article (shown below) that states that most
forms of lilies are fatal to pets. I happen to be a cat owner as well
as a day lily fanatic. I'm sure it's not an unusual circumstance to
have cats and day lilies on your property. Anyone here ever have a
problem? Should I be consdering yanking out my precious day lilies?

snip
As others have pointed out, daylilies aren't 'true' lilies. In fact,
they are famous for being an edible flower. The buds may be prepared
like green beans, and the flower petals added to a salad. Even the
tubers/rhizomes are edible, 'though I wouldn't want to waste their
plant potential.

One sort of dried lily bud, I haven't done enough research to be
absolutely sure, is the "golden needle" used in Chinese cooking.

Remember, don't believe everything you read on the web. Inclusion of
daylilies in a list of similar-looking, but botanically different
plants may be an error on the part of the author.

I've eaten the tender buds before they open and found them very nice in
those oriental soup mixes you stir with boiling water. They thicken it a
lot though, and come across overly rich. Daylilies are very edible, that
is the unopened flowers, and I believe the bulbs are edible as well, but
I haven't tried the roots, and may be wrong.

I didn't dry the flowers by the way, perhaps that would take away some
of the fattiness.

trish k
Old 25-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Trish K.

Trish K. wrote:

My comments relate to Hemerocallis (Daylily) only, but I'm sure recipies
abound for this on the web

tk

Old 25-05-2003, 06:08 AM
gregpresley

Day lily buds are not only edible, they are delicious. I have eaten them raw
off the plant many times. (Shake to make sure there are no earwigs inside
though). Especially the ditch lily, hemarocallis fulva. which is the one
that naturalizes, blooms so freely that single buds are never missed, so
have a snack while you are gardening. Likewise, you can pop a nasturtium
flower or leaf in your mouth as you move along a garden path.
"Tsu Dho Nimh" wrote in message
(Fleemo) wrote:

[...]

http://wellness.ucdavis.edu/safety_i..._care_with_pla
nts/toxicity_of_plants.html

Old 25-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Fleemo

Thanks to all of you for weighing in on this subject. I really
appreciate your input. And now I'll have to go out and munch on a
Daylily or two, now that they're just beginning to pop.

Have a great Memorial Day!

-Fleemo

[IMG] code is On

Which herbicides are most lethal to rose bushes Uncle-C United Kingdom 3 21-06-2006 11:10 AM
Lilies Cats Brian United Kingdom 9 08-05-2005 06:01 PM
slug deterrent non lethal Ivanna Humpalot United Kingdom 19 05-07-2004 09:03 PM
slug deterrent non lethal Ivanna Humpalot United Kingdom 0 27-06-2004 06:39 PM
Lethal temperatures to bugs? Amy Chan Roses 1 12-11-2003 05:12 PM