Old 27-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Pam

Default iddy biddy fern lookin' thing

Valkyrie wrote:

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
news:1053959125.406790@yasure...

"Pam" wrote in message
A couple of things come to mind, Val. There is a true groundcover fern,

Blechnum
penne-marina, which is a great but hard to find plant. Evergreen

miniature
fern-like foliage held very close to the ground, spreads by underground

runners
to form colonies.

Yes, YES!! YES!! That's it!! And now that you have jogged my memory I
remember I was able to find it at a nursery in Seattle in the

Ballard/Crown
Hill area, it was back by a soccer/play field. I wonder if they are even
there anymore. I guess the best bet is to call around and see if I can

find
it close to Tacoma. Thank you, Pam!!

Val

Well hell :-( I was doing some reading on the fern and that's not it, way
too big. This little ferny ground cover thing was maybe TWO INCHES across,
at the most,but it does spread by underground runners, and lays right flat
to the ground. All that I read about B. penna-marina said it was 8 -12
inches. ratz, ratz,ratz.

I think I will send an email to the Portland Japanese Gardens where I first
saw this. They were great about telling me what it was 20 years ago, maybe
they can tell me again.

Val

I think it could get that big, but mine has always been very ground-hugging - a
low, dense mat.

pam