Old 26-05-2003, 06:32 PM
seepnezorf1

Default planting in a whiskey barrel

I just purchased an oak whiskey barrel which still smells of alcohol. I
plan on planting petunias, chrysanthemums and vines in the barrel. However,
before putting in the soil is there anything I need to do to the barrel,
i.e....drill holes and if so how many and how big should they be. Also I
had planned on putting rocks in the bottom of the barrel as it is rather
deep. Just seemed rather pointless to completely fill it up with soil if
only annuals are going into it. This is my first time planting flowers in a
barrel and any assistance would be much appreciated.

thanks

Old 26-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

From: "seepnezorf1"
Date: Mon, May 26, 2003 1:29 PM

I just purchased an oak whiskey barrel which still smells of alcohol. I
plan on planting petunias, chrysanthemums and vines in the barrel. However,
before putting in the soil is there anything I need to do to the barrel,
i.e....drill holes and if so how many and how big should they be. Also
had planned on putting rocks in the bottom of the barrel as it is rather
deep. Just seemed rather pointless to completely fill it up with soil if
only annuals are going into it. This is my first time planting flowers
in a
barrel and any assistance would be much appreciated.

Yes, it's important to drill a few half-inch holes in the bottom and line the
barrel with crockery so wet soil doesn't accumulate on the bottom. It's also a
good idea to put the barrel on something inorganic....such as slate, bricks,
etc......rather than directly on soil.

As far as filling it goes, there are various things you can do, because as you
suggest, it isn't necessary to have a full barrel of potting mix for annuals.
You can put inverted plastic margarine-type containers or anything of that sort
as the first layer. Just make sure you allow for good drainage and don't dump
straight garden soil in the barrel. Best to use a mix created for containers
(which you can make yourself or purchase from commercial sources anywhere).

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z6b/7a
Old 26-05-2003, 10:20 PM
susabean

An inverted large clay pot would work too.

Blessings,
Tammy

--
The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.
Henry Ward Beecher

Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of
the originality.
Beatrix Potter

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

www.pictureparables.com

From: "seepnezorf1"
Date: Mon, May 26, 2003 1:29 PM

[...]

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 27-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Frogleg

On 26 May 2003 18:57:34 GMT, oway (Tyra Trevellyn)

From: "seepnezorf1"

I just purchased an oak whiskey barrel which still smells of alcohol. I
plan on planting petunias, chrysanthemums and vines in the barrel. However,
before putting in the soil is there anything I need to do to the barrel,
i.e....drill holes and if so how many and how big should they be. Also
had planned on putting rocks in the bottom of the barrel as it is rather
deep. Just seemed rather pointless to completely fill it up with soil if
only annuals are going into it. This is my first time planting flowers
in a
barrel and any assistance would be much appreciated.

Yes, it's important to drill a few half-inch holes in the bottom and line the
barrel with crockery so wet soil doesn't accumulate on the bottom. It's also a
good idea to put the barrel on something inorganic....such as slate, bricks,
etc......rather than directly on soil.

Good point. While whiskey barrels have tops/bottoms recessed from the
edge of the staves which facilitates drainage, they *do* eventually
rot. Although they're gonna rot anyhow, they'll last longer if placed
on an unwet surface. Foam packing 'peanuts' are also good for taking
up space at the bottom of containers that are really deeper than the
plants need. They prevent standing water, like pebbles in a smaller
pot, and also reduce the weight of large containers, where this is a
concern.

[IMG] code is On

Suggestions for a pump / filter for 1/2 whiskey barrel Roy Ponds 3 22-08-2004 07:44 PM
Whiskey Barrel Biofilter Benign Vanilla Ponds 3 27-07-2004 04:06 PM
Whiskey Barrel Biofilter Bill Stock Ponds 7 23-07-2004 05:04 PM
whiskey barrel pond Sandy Ponds 7 25-06-2003 04:44 AM
Planting in whiskey barrel Guendol Gardening 1 01-06-2003 12:44 PM