Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Shannon

Default Cucumber help

Greetings experienced gardeners!

I planted cucumber starts in a large container, filled with commercial
potting mix (it might have been Miracle Grow potting soil). This is
outside, in a full sun spot in my back yard. The starts did fine for about
2 days, then began to wither up and die. They never even tried to climb up
the cage I provided. Now they are almost dead. The withering started as
the outside of the leaves turned brown, and worked it's way into the rest of
the plant.

Any ideas what might cause this? I've given up hope on these plants, but
want to prevent this from happening again.

TIA, Shannon

Old 30-05-2003, 06:32 PM
FarmerDill

I planted cucumber starts in a large container, filled with commercial
potting mix (it might have been Miracle Grow potting soil). This is
outside, in a full sun spot in my back yard. The starts did fine for about
2 days, then began to wither up and die. They never even tried to climb up
the cage I provided. Now they are almost dead. The withering started as
the outside of the leaves turned brown, and worked it's way into the rest of
the plant.

Any ideas what might cause this? I've given up hope on these plants, but
want to prevent this from happening again.

TIA, Shannon

Most likely one of the myriad root rots or damping off . The striped cucumber
beetle will also do a number on emerging plants, but they usually hand around
to noticed. The root rots are intensified in cold wet soil, If your containers
do not have good drainage, ther is a high probabilty of root diseases,
Old 30-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Shannon

"FarmerDill" wrote in message
Most likely one of the myriad root rots or damping off . The striped

cucumber
beetle will also do a number on emerging plants, but they usually hand

around
to noticed. The root rots are intensified in cold wet soil, If your

containers
do not have good drainage, ther is a high probabilty of root diseases,

Ah - the constant rain of last week and this probably didn't help. Bummer.

Thanks!

-Shannon

Old 30-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Doug Kanter

[...]

And then there's something that begins with a white dusty-looking deposit on
the leaves, which turns even large, mature plants into nothing, in about 2
weeks. :-(

Old 31-05-2003, 05:32 PM
FarmerDill

And then there's something that begins with a white dusty-looking deposit on
the leaves, which turns even large, mature plants into nothing, in about 2
weeks. :-(

Ah ha the infamous powdery mildew, Normally attacks relatively mature plants.
Lots of controls, but baking soda works about as well as anything. I think
someone on the board has mentioned using milk, works but a lot more messy than
baking soda, Copper sulphate based products also work.