Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Ian

Default Hosta ID and/or Web Page

Is there a decent hosta identification web page that I can use to id a hosta
my sister gave me?

If any one wants to have a go at it, pics are at the link below. I included
a pic with this hosta next to a Hosta fortunei 'Gold Standard' possibly as a
reference(unknown hosta is on right next to Yew.)

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/hostaid/index.htm

Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Ian

And of course just as I post this my web site goes down. Sigh.

Try again later if you may, or if the site stays down for too long, I'll
report.

le.rogers.com...

Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
JCMumsie

Have to say that I never care about IDing the hostas - like the surprise of the
variations. Guess I am one of those 'messy gardeners'.
Joan

Old 31-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Ian

Excellent link. Might take me weeks to go through it all, but I will.

Thx.

"NewsUser" wrote in message
have u tried the hosta library? http://www.hostalibrary.org/

le.rogers.com...

Old 06-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Actual leaf measurements and a picture of it in bloom would be helpful.

Ian wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
If anyone still wants to try and id my Hosta, my web page is back up.

Ta.

le.rogers.com...

Old 07-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Ian

I can measure the leaf, though can't say whether it is at full size yet. As
for blooms, no where near blooming yet.

When I can spare a few minutes, I continue to browse through the Hosta
Library to find a match, but there are so many hostas, might be at it till
the first frost! grin

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
Actual leaf measurements and a picture of it in bloom would be helpful.

Ian wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
If anyone still wants to try and id my Hosta, my web page is back up.

Ta.

le.rogers.com...

Old 07-06-2003, 07:56 PM
NewsUser

"Ian" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I can measure the leaf, though can't say whether it is at full size yet.

As
for blooms, no where near blooming yet.

When I can spare a few minutes, I continue to browse through the Hosta
Library to find a match, but there are so many hostas, might be at it till
the first frost! grin

Well, good luck with this task. I tagged the hostas I planted this spring
and ya know what? I can't really see any difference in them anyway. Maybe
when they flower....

karen

Old 07-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Françoise

I have many hostas of 4 different kinds. They are very different from eac=
other. The leaves are different, of different sizes and colors. The flowe=
rs are
different as well. Some even have white flowers some are grouped differen=
tly on
their stems. Some have quite big flowers. I used to have only one kind. B=
ut now
it is a lot more interesting. I am thinking to get one or two more kind o=
hostas and replace the least interesting ones.

Fran=E7oise.

NewsUser wrote:

le.rogers.com...

Old 08-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Ian

I am up to 10 different hosta, and as most were purchased with the plant
info attached, they are being tracked.

My sister regularly gives me cuttings from her impressive garden, and this
garden she inherited when she bought the house. As such, she knows the type
of plant, but not variety.

Finding the variety makes for a challenge. I guess trying to determine this
info before the plant is fully grown and blooming isn't the right idea, will
have to wait until the flowers arrive.

"Françoise" wrote in message
I have many hostas of 4 different kinds. They are very different from each
other. The leaves are different, of different sizes and colors. The flowers
are
different as well. Some even have white flowers some are grouped differently
on
their stems. Some have quite big flowers. I used to have only one kind. But
now
it is a lot more interesting. I am thinking to get one or two more kind of
hostas and replace the least interesting ones.

Françoise.

NewsUser wrote:

le.rogers.com...