Old 31-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Thomas Jacobs

Default Tomato plants / need help / fertilizer question

I am in the process of planting my yearly tomato garden, and I need
advice about fertilizer.

I've heard conflicting viewpoints about Miracle Grow Tomato formula.
Some people say that it does wonders for tomato plants and helps to
increase yields. However, I just read another post which suggested
that Miracle Grow causes the plants to produce excessive branches,
grow wildly tall, and actually inhibits tomato yields.

Last year, I used Miracle Grow, and my plants were insanely tall (some
would have reached 10 feet tall if I had let them), and they kept
sprouting branches everywhere. It makes me wonder if the Miracle Grow
was part of the problem.

I would welcome any opinions.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Panhandler

Too much of a good thing is always bad -- in the case you described it would
be too much nitrogen. You should cut way back on the food.
om...

Old 01-06-2003, 04:20 AM
John S. DeBoo

Thomas Jacobs wrote:

I am in the process of planting my yearly tomato garden, and I need
advice about fertilizer.

I've heard conflicting viewpoints about Miracle Grow Tomato formula.

I've used it before and the plants grew to 5' tall (Roma tomatos) and the
yield was excellent. This year I'm using the same basic stuff but
WalMarts brand as its cheaper. BTW, Cosmos seem to like it to as do
Marigolds. My C's were almost 6' tall last year and the M's were 3'.
They actually covered a 3' grotto w/ statue. No more for them this year!
--
John S. DeBoo

Old 02-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Dwight Sipler

Thomas Jacobs wrote:

I am in the process of planting my yearly tomato garden, and I need
advice about fertilizer.

I've heard conflicting viewpoints about Miracle Grow Tomato formula.
Some people say that it does wonders for tomato plants and helps to
increase yields. However, I just read another post which suggested
that Miracle Grow causes the plants to produce excessive branches,
grow wildly tall, and actually inhibits tomato yields.

Last year, I used Miracle Grow, and my plants were insanely tall (some
would have reached 10 feet tall if I had let them), and they kept
sprouting branches everywhere. It makes me wonder if the Miracle Grow
was part of the problem...

Every year is different. A plant that does one thing may do something
completely different next year, mostly because of the weather (unless
you're in a really boring climate).

In general, tomatoes like a good organic soil. Calcium is important to
fruit, so something like bone meal is useful, but only if your soil
lacks calcium. It won't hurt to add bone meal, but it's added work and
expense if not needed. Soil pH is important to calcium availability: pH
too low (below 6.0) will limit availability. Soil tests are useful in
planning fertilizer requirements. Check with your local extension
service for soil testing programs and requirements. They're not
expensive. Make sure you tell them what you're planning to grow.

Nitrogen is necessary, but probably not more than is available in a good
garden soil. Too much nitrogen will stimulate branches and leaves and
reduce fruit yield. If you add fertilizer, use a low nitrogen
fertilizer.

Potassium requirements are moderately high for tomatoes.