Old 08-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Ablang

Default Perennial vegetable plants

I'm told that most vegetable plants will die in the fall season.

What vegetable plants are hardy enough to survive from year to year, despite
the season? I don't want to waste time planting & caring for things that will
die no matter what I do to them.

"We lie. We cheat. We steal."
-- WWE wrestler, Eddie Guerrero

Old 08-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

You misunderstand. Its not a matter of being hardy enough. Most plants grown
as vegetables are naturally annuals or biennials. If you have a problem with
that, go complain to the creator!

There are very few perennial vegetables, like asparagus, potatoes,
horseradish and garlic, but then again you will still need to make an effort
to harvest them.

If you have a problem with things dying, then try taking up collecting books
or artwork and just buy your vegetables at the market.

Old 08-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Jane

try rhubarb, collard greens and asparagus...but what area are you in? that
may help define what you can grow.
Jane

Old 08-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Jan Flora

Globe artichokes are perennial, if you're in a warm enough, but NOT hot zone.
(Coastal California is perfect.)

Jan

Old 08-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Travis

Ablang wrote:
I'm told that most vegetable plants will die in the fall season.

What vegetable plants are hardy enough to survive from year to year,
despite the season? I don't want to waste time planting & caring for
things that will die no matter what I do to them.

"We lie. We cheat. We steal."
-- WWE wrestler, Eddie Guerrero

Can you spell "Troll".

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 08-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Jason Quick

"Ablang" wrote :

I'm told that most vegetable plants will die in the fall season.

What vegetable plants are hardy enough to survive from year to year,

despite
the season? I don't want to waste time planting & caring for things that

will
die no matter what I do to them.

Peppers will overwinter quite nicely indoors if you have a bright spot for
them. They look like hell for a while when you first get them inside, but
getting them somewhat adjusted to lower-light conditions, in addition to
giving them some additional light indoors, will enable you to bring 'em in
for the winter. Just uproot and pot in the fall, or even grow them in pots
in the first place...

Jason

Old 08-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Jim W

Ablang wrote:

I'm told that most vegetable plants will die in the fall season.

What vegetable plants are hardy enough to survive from year to year, despite
the season? I don't want to waste time planting & caring for things that will
die no matter what I do to them.

Artichokes, asparagus, Perrenial brocolli, perennial spinach, Kudzu (if
you count it as vegetable, it *is* edible!, Rhubarb, tree tomatoes...
Broad beans will give you 2 crops if cut back. Many tree fruits and cane
fruits return each year, as do strawberries.
Try looking up forest gardening for multi season producing crops.
//
Old 09-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 06:59:58 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

Ablang wrote:
I'm told that most vegetable plants will die in the fall season.

What vegetable plants are hardy enough to survive from year to year,
despite the season? I don't want to waste time planting & caring for
things that will die no matter what I do to them.

Can you spell "Troll".

My thought exactly. It's sad to see how much effort kind folk will
make to seriously answer a troll. Unless poor Ablang is, what's the
proper term these days?, "developmentally challanged."
Old 09-06-2003, 10:08 PM
David Hill

"developmentally challanged."

Educationally Different???