Old 08-06-2003, 06:44 PM
John A. Ells

Default Is this a Red or Silver Maple?

Well it is another summer and I am still stumped as to the ID of the this
tree near my driveway. I asked last year when it was smaller and got a bunch
of "if it is silver remove now before it is too late!". Well I have decided
to keep the tree as it seems to be leaning more towards red than silver.
Could you have one last look and tell me what you think it is? The problem
is the leaves vary from deep v-notches to shallow v-notches. Also the lobes
are weak or strong depending on the leaf you look at. Maybe it is a Heinz 57
tree. ;-)

Here are 3 pictures of the same tree in question. For the high-speed crowd
you can get the high-res version by clicking on the thumbnails.

http://johnells.tripod.com/redorsilver/

John

Old 09-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Marley1372

That is definitley NOT a silver maple. The top and bottom pictures look like
red maples but the buds would confirm it. The middle one came from the same
tree? Looks different but plants are variable. You can tell a silver maple
from a red maple really easy- flip the leaf over, and if it has a
silvery-white underside, its a silver maple.

Toad
Old 09-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Duane Runnels

I have a silver maple. I vote for red.
Is it old enough for fruit? Red maples produce reddish brown keys, silver's
are tan/light brown. What color are the leaves in fall? Silver's are
mostly yellowish, red's are red, orange, and maybe yellow. Were there red
flowers this spring?
I agree there's some confusion, but my unlearned opinion is red based on my
own silver maple and the Natl Audubon SOciety Field GUide to NA Trees.

Old 09-06-2003, 03:44 PM
John A. Ells

Well thanks to all for replying. It seems 75% of you think it is red.
Oh bye-the-way the underside is slightly silvery! I will watch this
fall for the leaf colors and the buds in the spring to confirm it is a
red. In addition, I did notice that the young shoots are very redish
on this tree. And yes all the pictures are from the same tree. In fact
from the same branch.

Cheers,
John

Old 10-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Cannot identify without seeing diagnositc characters.

What is the color of the flowers? (Acer rubrum has red flowers, Acer
saccharinum has yellow to pink)

What does the underside of the leaf look like? (The leaf underside of Acer
saccharinum is distinctly silvery.)

What do the fruit look like and what are their size? (Acer saccharinum has
the largest winded seeds of any native maple. The winged seeds of Acer
rubrum are usually red.)