Old 10-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Lilly

Default Caterpillar Id?

This evening I found maybe 10 caterpillars on my wisteria and I was
wondering if anyone knew if they were butterfly or moth, or even a
specific name? They were fuzzy, mostly black with bright fire orange
stripes. I live in Washington State, zone 8. Tried to google for this,
but wasn't especially successful, so any ideas about this would be
great.
Thanks!
~Lilly
The White Man must treat the beasts of this
land as his brother. What is man without the
beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man
would die from a great loneliness of spirit. For
whatever happens to the beasts, also happens
to the man.

Chief Seattle
Old 10-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Lar

In article ,
says...
This evening I found maybe 10 caterpillars on my wisteria and I was
wondering if anyone knew if they were butterfly or moth, or even a
specific name? They were fuzzy, mostly black with bright fire orange
stripes. I live in Washington State, zone 8

Maybe one of the Tussock moths..
http://www3.islandtelecom.com/~oehlkew/slmacula.htm
....they come in a range of patterns.
--
Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 10-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Pam

Lilly wrote:

This evening I found maybe 10 caterpillars on my wisteria and I was
wondering if anyone knew if they were butterfly or moth, or even a
specific name? They were fuzzy, mostly black with bright fire orange
stripes. I live in Washington State, zone 8. Tried to google for this,
but wasn't especially successful, so any ideas about this would be
great.

They are tent caterpillars, the subject of several recent threads. They
have been very prevelent in this area this spring, but are reaching the
end of the caterpillar stage of their life cycle and are no longer
particularly harmful.

pam - gardengal

Old 12-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Lilly

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 19:46:40 -0700, Lilly
wrote:

Thanks everyone, they are definitely Tent Caterpillars. (Sheesh do we
have a lot of em. Every evening I find between 10 and 20 of em fairly
close together.)

~Lilly

"Who first told you of the folktales, your father?"
"My father was in charge of my education. If I was destined to be the anti-christ, I'm sure he would have mentioned it."

-Vlad The Impaler