Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Lyne

Default poison ivy - again

I have already read the 400+ items in the thread that ran from 1996 to
2001.

Is it possible to have a poison ivy tree? This is not a tree wrapped
in poison ivy - it is a tree with a non-hairy trunk. It has the
light-colored 3-leaves that (at this time) have red stems and the
leaves look just like the vines that I also have. Oh yeah - the
little green berries are there too. It is about 15-20' tall and has a
nice rounded shape.

Also, are baby poison ivy leaves red, shiny, and more pointy than the
adults? I am finding these very lightly scattered in a field near the
building that has most of the vines.

There is alot of talk about cutting off the vine and applying
Brush-Be-Gone to the stump. It seems to me that it would be better to
spray the leaves because the leaves are pipelines to the root system
so the more leaves you have; the more pipelines.

I was very allergic as a child. I take Claritin for airborne
allergies so I wonder if that might inhibit some of my reaction to the
ivy now. I get little quarter-sized patches of little bumps that itch
some but not alot, plus very stray individual bumps. These could be
bug bites but the patches seem more likely to be poison ivy. The main
question here is "can an antihistamine reduce or prevent the
reaction?"

Finally, everybody talks about Roundup and Brush-be-Gone. My
Weed-Be-Gone -says- that it works for poison ivy. Does anyone know
that it does not?

Thanks!

Remove SPAMDEFENSE in address to reply.

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Lawns 20 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM