Old 13-06-2003, 03:08 AM
rosie readandpost

Default My New Mulching Blade Is Disappointing

I'm so bad..... I started doing my front yard the twice a week deal because I
realized that if I mowed my yard one of my neighbors would come home from work
and mow his whole lawn. I didn't like him very much so I would mow the front so
when he came home he'd mow the whole lawn. It got so bad like a juvenile
delinquent I would call my husband at work giggling that I was going to make
Mr. Neighbor mow his lawn....

my husband mows the lawn once a week "at the most".
we like it long, as we believe it chokes out the weeds.
i am sure it drives my next door mowing addict, nuts!

Old 13-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Doug Kanter

"rosie readandpost" wrote in message

Most of the time, Once a week is good.

would someone PLEASE tell my neighbor this?
EVERYDAY and i mean EVERYDAY ,he is out on his damn riding mower!
i would LOVE to sabotage the damn thing!
i pray for a rainy day!
(at least its quiet)

rosie

My neighbor's not out every day, but he *does* mow his lawn to putting green
length, all summer long. Then, the moron wonders why the lawn is completely
brown by early July, so he calls the Chem Lawn monsters, who come out and
spray some high nitrogen crap. It greens up for 2 days, and then gets even
dead-er than before, if that's possible.

Every year, our local paper runs at least 2-3 articles featuring someone
from the Cornell cooperative extension, who reminds people that grass should
be 3-4" high in the hottest months. I've shown these articles to my
neighbor, and he says "Yeah...well...that's not true of all lawns". Duh.

Old 13-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Doug Kanter

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...

But then I realize that there will be too much grass
clippings for my compost piles (there is not enough brown stuff in my
compost pipe). And I don't really want to give away the grass
clippings (by leaving them in the trash bin).

Sprinkle the clipping in repetitive thin layers around your flower/vegetable
beds, being sure to keep it 4-6" away from brand new seedlings. It looks
nice when it's green, looks nice when it's beige 2 weeks later, and it
continually (and quickly) decomposes.

Old 14-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Jay Chan

Another suggestion is to go over the areas the opposite way if it is
very long, mulching the clippings further.....

This may work... But this will be double the work. Between mowing
twice each time and mowing twice a week, I would rather mow twice a
week -- that's if I have a choice.

After saying this, your suggestion sounds good _if_ the grass is
already quite long and my compost pile doesn't need any more grass
clippings.

Thanks.

Jay Chan
Old 14-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Jay Chan

Sprinkle the clipping in repetitive thin layers around your flower/vegetable
beds, being sure to keep it 4-6" away from brand new seedlings. It looks
nice when it's green, looks nice when it's beige 2 weeks later, and it
continually (and quickly) decomposes.

This sounds like a good idea. But my vegetable garden is a bit too
small to effectively get rid of the large quantity of grass clippings.

If I had an empty area in my yard that I need to improve the soil
condition (to prepare the area for a new garden), I would have chosen
your suggestion.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

Jay Chan

Old 14-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Jay Chan

How tall is the grass and how short are you trying to make it?????
We cut to no less then 3 inches and only take an inch or two so off at
a time, which to my understanding is technically too much...

Actually I prefer to leave the grass long. Then I don't need to water
the lawn often.

I have a wildlife garden so I do tend to let the back grow much
longer then the front, I mow the front once or twice a week but
the back is done only once every 10-14 days...
Even in the back it's more like 4 inches and we still take the
1-2 inches off, maybe a little more.... the back is really nice,
thick, green and almost weed free.

I am interested to learn more about the lawn in your backyard (where
you keep the grass long). You are saying that you are leaving the
grass long, and you only mow every 1-1/2 or every 2 weeks, and you are
only cutting 1-2 inch off every time. This seems to suggest that grass
growth rate slows down after it reaches certain height; otherwise, you
would have to cut more than 1-2 inches every time you mow. Are you
talking about the period when grass is not actively growing anyway? I
am always interested to hear a way that I only need to mow every 1-1/2
week or every 2 weeks (instead of every week).

Jay Chan
Old 16-06-2003, 07:32 PM
~consul

Back on Long Island, I used to mow twice a week during that time period. And the tracks of
grass is due to the wetness. If your mulcher was truly mulching, then I wouldn't worry
about the tracks. I'd just go over it quickly with a rake to break it up, 20 minutes tops
for an acre of grass.
I hated bagging dry grass, I'd hate it even more if I had to bag wet grass. That's HEAVY!
Oh, and criss-crossing directions b/w cuts worked best for me. Looked neater too.

Has anyone else let it grow so long as to let is sprout seeds that drop? I did this once
with a patch of grass, damn it took all my will power not to run the mower over it. I used
it as an organic wall between one side of my neighbours.
--
R.I.P. Gregory Peck, June 12th, 2003. He showed me the father and the man I strive to be,
on-screen and off. [[Reverend Sykes: "Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin'."