Old 15-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Paul Paulsen

Default Rose of Sharon

I live half way between Milwaukee and Chicago and 4 miles from Lake
Michigan.
Will this bush/tree survive in my area?
Thanks
Paul

Old 15-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:47:15 GMT, "Paul Paulsen"
wrote:

I live half way between Milwaukee and Chicago and 4 miles from Lake
Michigan.
Will this bush/tree survive in my area?
Thanks
Paul

Yes! Rose of Sharon grows well in Cleveland, Ohio. It grows fast and
makes a nice summer hedge. The Hawaiian or Chinese hibiscus are
tropical plants and are only hardy in frost-free parts of Zone 9 or
10.
Old 16-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Trevise

wrote:

I live half way between Milwaukee and Chicago and 4 miles from Lake
Michigan.
Will this bush/tree survive in my area?
Thanks
Paul

Yes! Rose of Sharon grows well in Cleveland, Ohio. It grows fast and
makes a nice summer hedge. The Hawaiian or Chinese hibiscus are
tropical plants and are only hardy in frost-free parts of Zone 9 or
10.

I beg to differ. I used to think the same thing about Chinese hibiscus until
I noticed a greenhouse by Sandusky that had them in the ground. Then I
started to notice allot of other people who have them in their yards (in
Ohio) as perennials. I had mine in pots and brought them in every winter
until last year, and put mine in the ground. It's growing right now, and I
hope it gets as huge as some of the others I've seen around here.

Old 16-06-2003, 04:03 PM
gregpresley

Chinese hibiscus (hibiscus rosa-sinensis) is definitely a tropical and it
would never survive a winter in Ohio. What you are seeing or thinking of,
I'm fairly sure, is the giant herbaceous hibiscus, with cultivars like Dixie
Belle, with nearly dinner-plate size blossoms, which are hardy to zone 5
with mulching - the latin name is hibiscus moscheutos - which is native to
North America.

Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
GrampysGurl

I beg to differ. I used to think the same thing about Chinese hibiscus until
I noticed a greenhouse by Sandusky that had them in the ground. Then I
started to notice allot of other people who have them in their yards (in
Ohio) as perennials. I had mine in pots and brought them in every winter
until last year, and put mine in the ground. It's growing right now, and I
hope it gets as huge as some of the others I've seen around here.

My neighbor has a couple hardy hibiscus, zone 5 Connecticut here. The ROS do
very well, I have a couple that I cut back hard after they bloom because they
are in the front of the house, I like them neat... They seem to be very happy
with the abuse as they bloom better then any other in the neighborhood.I don't
get as many seedlings to deal with doing it this way.

[IMG] code is On

propagating Rose of Sharon Neil Gardening 6 02-06-2003 11:56 AM
[IBC] ??Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) good for bonsai??? Bob Bugay Bonsai 3 10-05-2003 04:08 AM
Pruning Rose of Sharon? Natty_Dread Gardening 4 15-04-2003 02:20 AM
Rose of Sharon hugh mcmanus Roses 1 13-04-2003 03:32 AM
Double Rose of Sharon (peach or apricot) Purchgdss Gardening 2 31-03-2003 12:08 AM