Old 16-06-2003, 11:56 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default ID this ever returning flower...

My landlord asked me if I knew what this was. I haven't spotted it
anywhere on line yet.

http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl66/cornflower.jpg

It grows about 15-18" high. The plant is a stalk that looks like young
corn. It has a cluster of flower heads drooping at the top, but they
tend to open one or two at a time. The flower are a deep purple with
yellow stamen. It grows in a jam-packed cluster that wilts over
spreading out and flattened...probably from rain...but will spring
back and be upright again.

I honestly haven't paid attention if the top growth hangs about in
winter, but it is there year after year. It is very resilent. The
biggest bunch of it is about 2-3 feet across and more than a foot
thick. It is flourishing despite the shade of a bush that is becoming
a tree next to it. They tried to get rid of it growing around a
downspout but it has been returning there for 30 years. It gets direct
sun there, and seems to flower more consistently with sun.

NY, near NYC Zone 7, (reclassified this year from Zone 6)
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Old 17-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Julia Green

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
My landlord asked me if I knew what this was. I haven't spotted it
anywhere on line yet.

http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl66/cornflower.jpg

I was pretty sure it was transdencantia (sp?) or spiderwort before I saw the
photo. Yup, that's what it is. Mine spreads and selfseeds everywhere.

Old 17-06-2003, 03:08 AM
DigitalVinyl

"Julia Green" wrote:

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .
My landlord asked me if I knew what this was. I haven't spotted it
anywhere on line yet.

http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl66/cornflower.jpg

I was pretty sure it was transdencantia (sp?) or spiderwort before I saw the
photo. Yup, that's what it is. Mine spreads and selfseeds everywhere.

Yep, just did a lookup on it, that is it. Could be the Ohio or
Virginia forms, but definitely Spiderwort. reference said it is also
called a Bluejacket.

Thank You.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 17-06-2003, 01:56 PM
animaux

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:47:14 -0400, "Julia Green"
wrote:

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .
My landlord asked me if I knew what this was. I haven't spotted it
anywhere on line yet.

http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl66/cornflower.jpg

I was pretty sure it was transdencantia (sp?) or spiderwort before I saw the
photo. Yup, that's what it is. Mine spreads and selfseeds everywhere.

It's a wildflower and a great addition to any garden which desires native plants
or wildflowers.

Old 17-06-2003, 07:43 PM
MacTech

wrote:

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .
My landlord asked me if I knew what this was. I haven't spotted it
anywhere on line yet.

http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl66/cornflower.jpg

I was pretty sure it was transdencantia (sp?) or spiderwort before I saw the
photo. Yup, that's what it is. Mine spreads and selfseeds everywhere.

It's a wildflower and a great addition to any garden which desires native plants
or wildflowers.

Definitely spiderwort. I live in Wisconsin, and it grows wild in the
ditches along the road. It's one of the few holdovers we have that
were once native prairie plants. Not much left for prairie anymore,
except where people are trying to cultivate prairies, so the ditches
are probably the next closet thing. We've also still got some big
bluestem growing wild. I try to imagine what it must have looked like
around here with miles and miles of six-foot tall grass waving in the
breeze.

LeAnn

Share the view from Rural Route 2. . .
http://ruralroute2.com