Old 17-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Wayne Smith

Default Homelite String Trimmer Problem

I am having a problem with a Homelite string trimmer, model
Z625C.

It starts without difficulty, but as soon as I touch the
throttle, the engine dies. It will restart again, but dies again with
use of the throttle.

I believe that the fix is a simple adjustment of one of the
carb. needle valves, but the screws appears to be locked with a
plastic sleeve, and I'm not sure of its purpose. Can it be removed,
and if so, how? Is there another way of fixing this problem?
Old 18-06-2003, 03:56 AM
kurt kellenbenz

Wayne Smith wrote in message . ..
I am having a problem with a Homelite string trimmer, model
Z625C.

It starts without difficulty, but as soon as I touch the
throttle, the engine dies. It will restart again, but dies again with
use of the throttle.

I believe that the fix is a simple adjustment of one of the
carb. needle valves, but the screws appears to be locked with a
plastic sleeve, and I'm not sure of its purpose. Can it be removed,
and if so, how? Is there another way of fixing this problem?

You also might try cleaning the screen that resides in the middle of
your muffler. It can become clogged thus creating back pressure. My
Dad turned me on to this tip and my homelite blower runs like new.

Remove the muffler, it should break apart into two pieces. You will
then find the screen. Either attempt to clean or purchase a new one.
Cleaning worked for me.

Good luck!

kurt
Old 18-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Steve Touchstone

On 17 Jun 2003 19:55:26 -0700, (kurt kellenbenz)
wrote:

[...]

I second Kurt's suggestion. Your description of the problem sounds
like how an old Snapper commerciall trimmer I have used to have. The
previous owner was having this problem and just put it in a shed for a
couple years. He told me that he couldn't keep it running and just
gave it to me. I took it to a friend who works on smalll engines and
he showed me how to clean the muffller, and it's been running strong
going on 4 years, with annual cleaning of the muffler.
--
Steve Touchstone
email

home page
Old 18-06-2003, 08:39 AM
Play4aBuck

Wayne Smith wrote in message ...

I believe that the fix is a simple adjustment of one of the
carb. needle valves, but the screws appears to be locked with a
plastic sleeve, and I'm not sure of its purpose. Can it be removed,
and if so, how? Is there another way of fixing this problem?

Don't touch the carb screws (if you have any, mine only has an idle screw).
Clean the muffle screen as others have said and clean/replace the air filter
too. If you still have problems then make sure you have good gas (no
water).

I just had the same problem with my Echo and I finally took the carb
completely apart and cleaned it with starting fluid and an air chuck. I
could not see any debris but I unblocked something, it's back to running
like it should.

Cheers,
Jim