Old 17-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Christiane

Default Squirrels on apartment balcony

Good Morning all.
I live in a second floor apartment where my back door goes out onto a
fairly small balcony and fire escape. I have a few planters out there,
4 that are hanging off of my railing. I have some begonia's, a lettuce
box, and some other assorted plants.
The squirrels LOVE to dig in my plants. I came home from work
yesterday and found a few of my begonia's completely rooted up, and
the lettuce box had been dug through as well.
What can I do to keep my flowers squirrel free?
Thanks in advance!
Christiane
Old 17-06-2003, 01:56 PM
oxo34452

I attract and feed squirrels and had the same problem trying to keep them
out of potted plants, digging up the dirt and hiding food.

Best solution is to put a shallow layer of medium size (1" - 3" size) river
rock on top of the soil in the planters. That's what I did and the
squirrels left everything alone.

Tristram Shandy

om...

Old 17-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Doug Kanter

Call around to some tool rental places. Many will rent you a Havahart trap,
which will NOT hurt the squirrels. Stick a piece of bread in, smeared with
peanut butter. A door closes behind Mr. or Mrs. Squirrel, and you can
transport it to a local park. I used this method when they were raiding my
attic, before I had a chance to have a roofer repair the vent screens.

Old 18-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Adam Schwartz

"Christiane" wrote in message
om...
Good Morning all.
I live in a second floor apartment where my back door goes out onto a
fairly small balcony and fire escape. I have a few planters out there,
4 that are hanging off of my railing. I have some begonia's, a lettuce
box, and some other assorted plants.
The squirrels LOVE to dig in my plants. I came home from work
yesterday and found a few of my begonia's completely rooted up, and
the lettuce box had been dug through as well.
What can I do to keep my flowers squirrel free?
Thanks in advance!
Christiane

I have the same problem, escept with ground squirells. They like to tear
the flowers off my strawflower and bury them in the neighboring pots!

-Adam

Old 18-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Christiane wrote:

What can I do to keep my flowers squirrel free?

I saw this in reference to keeping cats out of pots, but it ought to work
for squirrels as well. You can cut wire mesh to the size of the pot, add
a slit and an opening that will fit around the plant, fit it in the pot
around the plant, and cover it with a shallow layer of soil. Probably
won't work as well for the lettuce, though.

Old 19-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Adam Schwartz

I have the same problem, escept with ground squirells. They like to tear
the flowers off my strawflower and bury them in the neighboring pots!

-Adam

I meant to say except... Oops!
Adam

[IMG] code is On

What to do with grey squirrels - M Ogilvie pro hunt nut and extremist, adviser for SNH suggests we should eat squirrels! [email protected] United Kingdom 15 19-10-2007 01:34 AM
Worm Farm on Apartment Balcony tomw Permaculture 0 26-03-2006 05:54 AM
Worm Farm on Apartment Balcony tomw Australia 0 26-03-2006 05:54 AM
Apartment Gardening Jimmy Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Apartment Gardening Dora Smith Texas 0 15-02-2003 08:07 PM