Old 17-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Carl e Roberts

Default looking for a garden tool

I am looking to buy a special garden tool. I had this tool years ago but
it has since disappeared. I will attempt to describe what this tool
looks like in hopes that someonce will recognize this tool and steer me
to a place where I might purchase this..
This is the description of the tool (Here is where my command of the
English language and ability to communicate through the written word
will be tested). First of all this tool is not a "hand tool" or short
handled. It is more along the lines of a rake and has a long wooden
handle. (It is used while standing). I don't even know what to call this
tool but I would put it in the category of a rake or in the "rake"
family. At the end of a long wood handle or the "business end" are found
a row of metal "half moons"or half crescent shaped blades. The bottom of
the crescents I would use to "work" or "bust" clods of dirt. I really
liked to use this tool in preparing a seed bed. I would use this as a
"rake" to go across the bed and gather stones, clods and then turn this
tool vertical and then "chop" the clods to break them up. I have not
seen this tool in any garden center or hardware store but hope that
someone in "cyberspace" may "recognize" or understand the tool I have
attemted to decsribe.

Old 17-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Salty Thumb

Carl e Roberts wrote in news:3EEF25F1.10305960
@bellsouth.net:

family. At the end of a long wood handle or the "business end" are found
a row of metal "half moons"or half crescent shaped blades. The bottom of
the crescents I would use to "work" or "bust" clods of dirt. I really

sounds like a thatch rake to me.
Old 17-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Doug Kanter

Carl:
Take a look at this site:
http://www.smith-hawken.com/

They sell some very interesting tools, and yours might be one of them. Tools
are reasonably priced here, and of good quality.
-Doug

Old 17-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Salty Thumb

Salty Thumb wrote in
:

Carl e Roberts wrote in news:3EEF25F1.10305960
@bellsouth.net:

family. At the end of a long wood handle or the "business end" are
found a row of metal "half moons"or half crescent shaped blades. The
bottom of the crescents I would use to "work" or "bust" clods of
dirt. I really

sounds like a thatch rake to me.

http://www.altavista.com/image/resul...gset=2&q=thatc
h+rake&avkw=xytx

Old 17-06-2003, 05:44 PM
animaux

Yes, it's called a garden cultivator. I had one of the tines go through my
foot, which gave me an infection I was hospitalized for, for six weeks. Then, I
have to be home on IV antibiotics with a PIC line in my arm for another 7
months, then by mouth, Biaxin for an additional year. THEN, the injury closed
and healed after three surgeries.

Okay, now back to the cultivator. Is this what you are talking about:

http://doityourself.com/store/6728752.htm

They also come in five tine.

Old 17-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Mike Lyle

Salty Thumb wrote in message . ..
Salty Thumb wrote in
:

Carl e Roberts wrote in news:3EEF25F1.10305960
@bellsouth.net:

family. At the end of a long wood handle or the "business end" are
found a row of metal "half moons"or half crescent shaped blades. The
bottom of the crescents I would use to "work" or "bust" clods of
dirt. I really

sounds like a thatch rake to me.

http://www.altavista.com/image/resul...gset=2&q=thatc
h+rake&avkw=xytx

(Shudder.) Scary pictures of Britain's weirdest-ever Prime Minister
might seem off-topic to some. But she certainly had sharp teeth, and
had to be held at arm's length, so I guess she qualifies...she'd break
your soil up into a fine tilth, no problem: probably just by using her
voice.

Mike.
Old 17-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Salty Thumb

(Mike Lyle) wrote in
om:

Salty Thumb wrote in message
. ..

http://www.altavista.com/image/resul...&imgset=2&q=th
atc h+rake&avkw=xytx

(Shudder.) Scary pictures of Britain's weirdest-ever Prime Minister
might seem off-topic to some. But she certainly had sharp teeth, and
had to be held at arm's length, so I guess she qualifies...she'd break
your soil up into a fine tilth, no problem: probably just by using her
voice.

Mike.

silly, edit the line break out of the url and look at the right most
picture on the top
Old 18-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Minteeleaf

Carl e Roberts wrote:

[...]

Do you by chance mean the "Garden Claw"? You've described
it quite well. It's in hardware stores here in VA.

Minteeleaf
Old 20-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Carl e Roberts

in a reply to all posts... it has been properly identified as a thatch
rake, thatching rake or scrake.

Old 23-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Mike Lyle

Salty Thumb wrote in message . ..
(Mike Lyle) wrote in
om:

Salty Thumb wrote in message
. ..

http://www.altavista.com/image/resul...&imgset=2&q=th
atc h+rake&avkw=xytx

(Shudder.) Scary pictures of Britain's weirdest-ever Prime Minister
might seem off-topic to some. But she certainly had sharp teeth, and
had to be held at arm's length, so I guess she qualifies...she'd break
your soil up into a fine tilth, no problem: probably just by using her
voice.

Mike.

silly, edit the line break out of the url and look at the right most
picture on the top

Yeah, yeah. Pity my attempts at humour.

Mike.
Old 23-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Salty Thumb

(Mike Lyle) wrote in
m:

Salty Thumb wrote in message
. ..
(Mike Lyle) wrote in
om:

Salty Thumb wrote in message
. ..

http://www.altavista.com/image/resul...age&imgset=2&q
=th atc h+rake&avkw=xytx

(Shudder.) Scary pictures of Britain's weirdest-ever Prime Minister
might seem off-topic to some. But she certainly had sharp teeth,
and had to be held at arm's length, so I guess she
qualifies...she'd break your soil up into a fine tilth, no problem:
probably just by using her voice.

Mike.

silly, edit the line break out of the url and look at the right most
picture on the top

Yeah, yeah. Pity my attempts at humour.

Mike.

groan A good gardening question would be: Would the Iron Lady
(Margaret Thatcher) make a better gardening tool than The Man of Steel's
Girlfriend (Terri Hatcher)?

-- Salty