Old 20-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Roberta L. Mueller

Default sick azaleas

Hi,
After blooming this year all my two-year-old azalea plants have been growing
lumpy peanut-sized cysts on the tips of the branches. They seem to have
been the starts of new leaves, but malformed. What's wrong! I'm in the
Seattle area.

Roberta

Old 20-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Stephen M. Henning

"Roberta L. Mueller" wrote:

After blooming this year all my two-year-old azalea plants have been growing
lumpy peanut-sized cysts on the tips of the branches. They seem to have
been the starts of new leaves, but malformed. What's wrong! I'm in the
Seattle area.

It sounds like the leaf buds are opening. Azaleas have large flower
buds in the spring and smaller leaf buds.

1) Young leaves rolled and distorted could be either chemical damage or
rhododendron gall midge. The rhododendron gall midge is a tiny insect
that feeds in the spring and causes distorted leaves to emerge. There is
no way to undo the damage once it has occurred.

2) Enlarged, crabapple-like, green or pinkish galls on young leaves and
flowers are caused by Exobasidium leaf and flower gall. The galls become
hard and turn white and eventually brown. Fungicides seldom provide
control. Sanitation and warm dry conditions reduce infestation. It is
seldom considered serious.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html
Old 20-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Beecrofter

"Roberta L. Mueller" wrote in message ...
Hi,
After blooming this year all my two-year-old azalea plants have been growing
lumpy peanut-sized cysts on the tips of the branches. They seem to have
been the starts of new leaves, but malformed. What's wrong! I'm in the
Seattle area.

Roberta

Azalea leaf gall.
Caused by a fungus.
Unsightly but doesn't kill the azalea.
Remove affected leaves to reduce the amount of innoculum.

Resume dancing.
Old 20-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Pam

"Roberta L. Mueller" wrote:

Hi,
After blooming this year all my two-year-old azalea plants have been growing
lumpy peanut-sized cysts on the tips of the branches. They seem to have
been the starts of new leaves, but malformed. What's wrong! I'm in the
Seattle area.

Roberta

Azalea leaf gall - a very common problem in the area this year, due to our mild
winter and wet spring.. It is not particularly serious but unslightly. Just
prune off the affected parts.

pam - gardengal

Old 21-06-2003, 01:32 AM
V_coerulea

Ms Mueller doesn't state where she lives, but if it's the southern US, then
I'll bet on #2 below. Wet spring conditions cause these galls on a variety
of our shrubs most notibly azaleas and camellias. Our sasanqua camellias are
harder hit than the japonicas or reticulatas. The small and intermediate
sized azaleas are worse than the tall southern indica types such a George
Tabor. We trim off the affected areas, burn them, fertilize the bush and in
no time you'd never know the difference.

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news

Old 21-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Roberta L. Mueller

Hi, everyone,
It looks like you all agree it's azalea leaf gall and it sure does seem
right. They are kind-of hard, white, and turning brown, as Stephen suggests
too. They do have some new leaf growth, so maybe they'll be okay. I'll get
busy and cut the things off. Thanks very much for your advice!!!
Roberta

Old 21-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Roberta L. Mueller" wrote:

It looks like you all agree it's azalea leaf gall and it sure does seem
right. They are kind-of hard, white, and turning brown, as Stephen suggests
too. They do have some new leaf growth, so maybe they'll be okay. I'll get
busy and cut the things off.

Be sure to dispose of them either in the trash or burn them. If left
lying around, they can reinfect the plant.