Old 27-06-2003, 05:44 PM
D. Helderman

Default brussel sprouts

I've had a garden every summer, but this will be the first one that i've
ever planted brussels sprouts. can anyone give me information on them. Like
if there is anything special i need to do with the plants how tall the
plants get. what part of the plant the brussel sprout thingy grows on.
Stuff like that. I feel so blonde at times.

--
In the beginning, God created man, but seeing him so feeble, He gave him the
cat.

Old 27-06-2003, 07:10 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

D. Helderman wrote:
I've had a garden every summer, but this will be the first one that i've
ever planted brussels sprouts. can anyone give me information on them. Like
if there is anything special i need to do with the plants how tall the
plants get. what part of the plant the brussel sprout thingy grows on.
Stuff like that. I feel so blonde at times.

The sprouts grow on the stalk. You twist the sprouts off at
the stalk, they develop from the bottom up. So you pick the
ones at the bottom first. The stalk will continue to grow
until frost.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 27-06-2003, 09:20 PM
DavesVideo

Bonnie said:

You twist the sprouts off at

the stalk, they develop from the bottom up. So you pick the
ones at the bottom first. The stalk will continue to grow
until frost.

They seem to prefer the cool weather. Planted them one year and nothing
happened all summer, but when the cold weather came, they really began to grow.
For Christmas dinner, I went out in the snow and picked fresh brussel sprouts.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 28-06-2003, 03:32 AM
B & J

"DavesVideo" wrote in message
Bonnie said:

You twist the sprouts off at

the stalk, they develop from the bottom up. So you pick the
ones at the bottom first. The stalk will continue to grow
until frost.

They seem to prefer the cool weather. Planted them one year and

nothing
happened all summer, but when the cold weather came, they really began to

grow.
For Christmas dinner, I went out in the snow and picked fresh brussel

sprouts.

Dave

Brussels sprouts continue to grow after frost and even after an extremely
heavy frost. Cool weather makes them sweeter tasting. If picked too early
during warm, dry weather, they can be very strong tasting - even bitter.
BTW, keep them fertilized and well watered.

John