Old 29-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Lesley

Default Hostas killing birch trees?

Has anyone ever heard of hostas killing birch trees? I planted about
8 hostas under a Y shped birch tree(s) 2 springs ago. Last fall we
had to cut off one half of the Y, and now this spring the other half
has died. We live in New England if that helps. Anyone ever hear of
such a thing?
Old 29-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Joseph Meehan

Here in Ohio I have had hostas under a birch tree for over 10 years,
both are still healthy.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

om...

Old 29-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Is there something in the drinking water where you live?

That is one of the dumbest things said here and that's saying a lot!
Hostas don't kill trees.

You tree dies of some disease not the company of Hostas.

om...

Old 29-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Marley1372

If they were any type of white barked birch, they are very succeptile to phloem
boring insects that can kill the trees very quickly. On the other hand, if the
hostas were of the dreaded marphistes variety.....

Toad