Old 30-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Sharon

Default Good Fertilizer for Palms

I'm a fairly new resident of Arizona. Can someone recommend a good
fertilizer for palms? I have a Mediterranean Fan Palm that is beautiful
and has been growing quite quickly. However, this summer some of the
fronds are starting to yellow. I have been using a dry granular palm
food but I have been told that I should use liquid nitrogen. Does anyone
have any experience with this? What should I look for and where can I
purchase it?

Sharon

Old 30-06-2003, 06:35 AM
Muush

"Sharon" wrote in message
I'm a fairly new resident of Arizona. Can someone recommend a good
fertilizer for palms? I have a Mediterranean Fan Palm that is beautiful
and has been growing quite quickly. However, this summer some of the
fronds are starting to yellow. I have been using a dry granular palm
food but I have been told that I should use liquid nitrogen. Does anyone
have any experience with this? What should I look for and where can I
purchase it?

Unless you are growing for fruit (seeds) the cheapest lawn fertiliser is
fine.
Palms in general like lots of nitrogen and water. You might like to check
with an authority in your area whether there are any trace element
deficiencies there. Palms might benefit from a bit more manganese and
magnesium. This can easily be supplied by a teaspoon of condy's crystals in
a bucket of water and splashing this around the root zones, and for
magnesium, half a cup of Epsom salts in a bucket of water. Of course,
mulching root zones with organic matter will improve soil structure and
conserve soil moisture.

Old 30-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Mary Kniss

There are palm tree fertilizers specifically oriented to our Arizona
climate, located at most any local nursery, Home Depot or Lowes. My
favorite is the "Arizona's Best" brand palm tree fertilizer.

Mary

Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 AM
Sharon

Thanks for the reply. I live in Lake Havasu City and we don't have a
Lowes. We do have a Home Depot although I didn't see it there. I'll look
around for it though.

Sharon

wrote:

I'm a fairly new resident of Arizona. Can someone recommend a good
fertilizer for palms? I have a Mediterranean Fan Palm that is beautiful
and has been growing quite quickly. However, this summer some of the
fronds are starting to yellow. I have been using a dry granular palm
food but I have been told that I should use liquid nitrogen. Does anyone
have any experience with this? What should I look for and where can I
purchase it?

Sharon

[IMG] code is On

Palms Plant Biology 0 27-03-2003 12:20 PM
Help burn palms Sue Australia 1 14-02-2003 02:22 AM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 04:15 AM
Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms Clive Wilson United Kingdom 4 22-11-2002 06:11 PM