Old 02-07-2003, 06:44 PM
J. Farnsworth Wallaby

Default Craftsman 9 HP Chipper/Shredder

Hello All!

We've just purchased a home from an elderly couple. In the shed is one
of these chippers. The owner said that although he bought it new 6 years
ago, he has used it but a few times. The last time was 5 years ago! It's
been sitting idle all this time. Yes, I do have the manual.

It's got 1/2 a tank of gas still in it. Where do I start to see if it
works? Should I drain the tank then go from there? To where?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alan in San Diego

Old 02-07-2003, 07:20 PM
The Q

"J. Farnsworth Wallaby" wrote in message
Hello All!

We've just purchased a home from an elderly couple. In the shed is one
of these chippers. The owner said that although he bought it new 6 years
ago, he has used it but a few times. The last time was 5 years ago! It's
been sitting idle all this time. Yes, I do have the manual.

It's got 1/2 a tank of gas still in it. Where do I start to see if it
works? Should I drain the tank then go from there? To where?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alan in San Diego

replace the gas, clean the plug. checjk there is nothing in the "works" then
keeping fingers out give it a go!!(ie start as per manual).

The Q

Old 02-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Salty Thumb

"The Q" wrote in
:

"J. Farnsworth Wallaby" wrote in
message ...
Hello All!

We've just purchased a home from an elderly couple. In the shed is
one of these chippers. The owner said that although he bought it new
6 years ago, he has used it but a few times. The last time was 5
years ago! It's been sitting idle all this time. Yes, I do have the
manual.

It's got 1/2 a tank of gas still in it. Where do I start to see if it
works? Should I drain the tank then go from there? To where?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alan in San Diego

replace the gas, clean the plug. checjk there is nothing in the
"works" then keeping fingers out give it a go!!(ie start as per
manual).

The Q

Yes replace the gas. If it hasn't been stabilized it's probably gummy
and you might have to try many times before the spark catches. Aside
from that, do whatever maintence items are in the manual (change oil,
check/clean air filter, etc).

- Salty
Old 03-07-2003, 01:32 AM
John McGaw

"J. Farnsworth Wallaby" wrote in message
Hello All!

We've just purchased a home from an elderly couple. In the shed is one
of these chippers. The owner said that although he bought it new 6 years
ago, he has used it but a few times. The last time was 5 years ago! It's
been sitting idle all this time. Yes, I do have the manual.

It's got 1/2 a tank of gas still in it. Where do I start to see if it
works? Should I drain the tank then go from there? To where?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alan in San Diego

Sounds like you now have the exact model I have -- at least the HP and
purchase date are about right. If so you might be in for some carbeurator
cleaning too -- I've found that mine gums up very quickly when I'm stupid
enough to leave it out over the summer/winter/spring after using in in the
autumn for cleanup. I suspec that the summer heat around here turns gasoline
to glue pretty quickly. And no, I NEVER remember to stabilize the gas. Mine
has been bad enough two times now that I've just followed the path of least
resistance and taken it to the local service guy and let him clean up after
my screwup.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old 03-07-2003, 03:44 PM
SJB

Ah, ha....I recently picked up a lawn mower that someone was giving away,
but it wouldn't start. In taking the carb apart, I noticed that it looked
like they had been running the thing on Playdough for fuel. Now I know what
really happened... Thnks for the info...

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"The Q" wrote in
:

Old 07-07-2003, 01:58 AM
Tono

"J. Farnsworth Wallaby" wrote in message

Hello All!

We've just purchased a home from an elderly couple. In the shed is one
of these chippers. The owner said that although he bought it new 6 years
ago, he has used it but a few times. The last time was 5 years ago! It's
been sitting idle all this time. Yes, I do have the manual.

It's got 1/2 a tank of gas still in it. Where do I start to see if it
works? Should I drain the tank then go from there? To where?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alan in San Diego

When you drain the fuel, pour it into your car. It will be dilluted
so much that your car will never know the difference. Not like when
I was a kid, old gas and drain oil went on the weeds in the
driveway. We know better now.

Tono