Old 04-07-2003, 02:20 PM
keith nuttle

Default Pulling power

I am looking at lawn tractors, and was think of one purpose that it may
be used. I have a 21' sail boat that probably weighs less than 3000lb.
Would a lawn tractor be able to move it in and out of the garage and
around the yard to mow under it.

Would there be specific brands of tractor that would be better for this
purpose?

What about hp requirements?

Old 04-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Bill and Nancy Weiler

keith nuttle wrote:
I am looking at lawn tractors, and was think of one purpose that it may
be used. I have a 21' sail boat that probably weighs less than 3000lb.
Would a lawn tractor be able to move it in and out of the garage and
around the yard to mow under it.

Would there be specific brands of tractor that would be better for this
purpose?

What about hp requirements?

I have an IH Cub Cadet 20hp which I have used to move my small camper
(ca 1500 lbs) and my fishing boat (ca 2200 lbs). The problem I have is
tongue weight and height of the ball hitch on the tractor. I can't use
the tractor to move my pontoon boat around because the tongue weight is
too great and the ball hitch is too low.

Bill

--
Bill and Nancy Weiler
Tony, Wisconsin

Old 05-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Sunflower

"keith nuttle" wrote in message
I am looking at lawn tractors, and was think of one purpose that it may
be used. I have a 21' sail boat that probably weighs less than 3000lb.
Would a lawn tractor be able to move it in and out of the garage and
around the yard to mow under it.

Would there be specific brands of tractor that would be better for this
purpose?

What about hp requirements?

A *real* compact tractor will do what you want but a *lawn* tractor won't
stand up to it. Especially the crap they sell nowadays with inflated HP
numbers. Take a look at a small Kubota, Yanmar, Iseiki, or John Deere and
you'll never have to buy another tool for anything ever again. If you get a
16 horse one with 4WD and a small front end loader it's still small enough
to use to haul mulch around the garden, mow, tear out stumps, pull the dead
weight of your boat or a car and will do a great job with the finish mower
on your lawn. You can also get a post hole digger, a boom pole to help lift
those heavy loads of "stuff", and a tiller to do up your garden. A 20 hp
*lawn* tractor barely has enough gumption to cut 6" wet grass up a small
incline much less tow a boat.

Of course, if you have one of these small suburban lots, then you don't even
need a lawn tractor. You just need a nice push mower and to use the vehicle
you already own that is set up to tow.

Sunflower
MS 7b