Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Heidi Stump

Default dwarf hinoki cypress turning brown

ACK!!! My two dwarf hinoki (sp?) cypress which I paid a lot of money
for, are turning brown. I have been spraying them w/ some All Seasons
Oil and water over the past 2 weeks, however more and more of the plant
seems to be turing from green to brown. Can anyone tell me what might
be causing this and what I should do to save my poor plants?

Thanks!
Heidi

Old 06-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Travis

Heidi Stump wrote:
ACK!!! My two dwarf hinoki (sp?) cypress which I paid a lot of
money for, are turning brown. I have been spraying them w/
some All Seasons Oil and water over the past 2 weeks, however
more and more of the plant seems to be turing from green to
brown. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this and what
I should do to save my poor plants?

Where are you?

Have you been watering them too little or too much.

The oil (what kind and what for?) maybe the killer.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 07-07-2003, 05:44 AM
Travis

Heidi Stump wrote:
All-Season Oil is a "refined horticultural oil effective for
most soft-bodied insects and their eggs such as aphids,
whitefly, lacebug,
and spider mites. It works by smothering them so you must get
the spray on the bugs." I thought I might have spider mites on
my cypress and on the advice of a friend, treated it w/ the
oil. Do spider mites leave webs? I saw webs on the cypress,
but no actual spiders. We have had a good deal of rain and I
have not seen the need to water in addition. The areas around
the dwarf hinoki cypress are heavily mulched, the
mulch touches the bottom of the cypress, and I wonder if this
could be a problem? I planted both last year, but maybe I
planted them too deep
and am just now seeing the effects? Or added too much mulch
this spring?

Should I cut the browned areas off?

I would contact the extension office for your county. Click the
link.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 07-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Pam

If you have had a pretty wet spring and summer so far, I doubt it is
spider mites, which tend to flourish in very dry, low humidity
conditions. Hinokis do experience considerable browning of interior
foliage because of their tight growth habit and density of foliage. This
is pretty normal and can be disposed of simply by knocking off the
browned foliage. If the browning is more pervasive and is appearing on
the tips as well as the interior, then you most likely have a water
problem. Hinokis can tolerate a lot of moisture, but they must have good
drainage. And remove some of the mulch, specially if it touches the
foliage and is up around the base. If the roots have not been affected,
then your chances are good they will recover, but if the roots have
started to rot, kiss 'em goodbye.

pam - gardengal

Heidi Stump wrote:

[...]

Raleigh, NC