Old 09-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Fern Leaf Hinoki Cypress

I purchased what I thought was a pretty nice Hinoki Cypress (fern leaf type)
at last weekends MABA convention in Cincinnatti. I get it home and start
working on it and discover that nearly all the branches are on one side or
the other - next to nothing in the front or back. I should have done more
digging through the foliage prior to purchasing, but it looked really nice
based on my quick perusal there at the show. Turns out, all of the stuff
that appeared to be front or back was growing sideways off of a left/right
branch. So, is anyone familiar with this variety of Hinoki Cypress? If I
drastically cut it back - any chance I might luck out and get some
significant back-budding on the trunk? How well do these back-bud in
general?

Thanks,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Jerry Meislik

Jeff,
Sorry about your Hinoki's branch deficiency. In my experience they do not
bud back.
You can try grafting branches or if the tree is still flexible you can try
twisting the trunk while you wire it to bring some of the branches into the
open spots.
Good luck.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 09-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Carl L Rosner

Jeff:
Jst in case you find out your tree will not back bud, consider turning
the tree into a small forest by wiring all the existing branches upward
as individual trees. There are a few articles on the internet and in
books.... on the "How to do the Stump" style.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Old 09-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Thanks for the responses everyone. The tree has some nice bends in it
already, but there could indeed be some additional possibilities if I
exagerate those a bit and twist the trunk as I do...

Will try to get some before and after photos to post and share. Thanks
again.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL) wrote:

I purchased what I thought was a pretty nice Hinoki Cypress (fern leaf type)
at last weekends MABA convention in Cincinnatti.

See, fern-leaf hinoki are flat. That's what they were bred for. If
you fix the trunk, the branches will still be two-sided. You will be
fighting this its entire life. My suggestion:

a) deal with the flatness. It might be interesting.

b) plant it in your yard, and get an 'obtusa nana' or 'reis dwarf' or
other more suitable cultivar.

Hinoki do not bud back. You need to plan very carefully when you prune one.

Nina, who has a fern-leaf, and intends to plant it in her back yard.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 10-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Luke Tulkas

"Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL" wrote in message
news:87FC4D6C5FBDD311A6F00008C7E6F4C62432643C@excm sg01ptlge.penske.com..
..
[...]

Just a suggestion: what if you took this two-sidedness onto the "next
level": cut one side and turn it into a windswept?

Old 10-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Luke Tulkas wrote:

Just a suggestion: what if you took this two-sidedness onto the "next
level": cut one side and turn it into a windswept?

Why not keep them. Wire the branches on one side like u-turns round the
back and front. This will give depth and at the same time give a natural
windswept look.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-07-2003, 09:04 AM
Luke Tulkas

"Henrik Gistvall" wrote in message
Luke Tulkas wrote:

Just a suggestion: what if you took this two-sidedness onto the

"next
level": cut one side and turn it into a windswept?

Why not keep them. Wire the branches on one side like u-turns round

the
back and front. This will give depth and at the same time give a

natural
windswept look.

Of course you can keep them. Then again, you can make the tree look more
3D if you make "L-turns" instead of u-turns, so there's no need for
being as radical as I proposed earlier. ;-)