Old 22-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Peat moss

Default Need advise on Hinoki Cypress

I know little about this plant except that it grows slowly. Will this
Hinoki Cypress (nana gracilis) recover? The contractor working on
installing sprinkler system damaged the plant by rubbing its foliage.
The loss of foliage is apparent on the rear right side, and there are
few broken branches but the bark remains intact. I received two
conflicting reports from two shrub care services. One said it needs
replaced, the other said it'll recover nicely:

http://community.webshots.com/album/95609775hFDlFC

I think it'll recover with fertilizing in a few years.... any opinion?

Old 22-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Theo

Don't Fertilize. Let the tree recover.
-Theo

Old 22-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Peat moss" wrote in message

I know little about this plant except that it grows slowly. Will this
Hinoki Cypress (nana gracilis) recover? The contractor working on
installing sprinkler system damaged the plant by rubbing its foliage.
The loss of foliage is apparent on the rear right side, and there are
few broken branches but the bark remains intact. I received two
conflicting reports from two shrub care services. One said it needs
replaced, the other said it'll recover nicely:

http://community.webshots.com/album/95609775hFDlFC

I think it'll recover with fertilizing in a few years.... any opinion?

The damage doesn't look that severe, although the tree's appearance has been
compromised a bit. Not to worry - I'd leave it alone and it may develop more
foliage as time goes by to fill in the bare spot. I wouldn't recommend
additional fertilizing to speed it along - that is not the point of
fertilizing. Just provide it with great growing conditions - good rich soil,
adequate water, good air circulation and mulch well with compost (avoiding
touching any woody portion) - and it should respond nicely.

pam - gardengal