Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2003, 02:09 AM
Sunflower

Default Clinging vines on Siding?

"pelirojaroja" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

After much search, I am ready to plant a very nice, large 3-ft tall

climbing
hydrangea (Hydrangea anomala petiolaris). I have one of two sites in

mind,
though.

One is in fairly deep shade, and the vine can climb over and around the
railings of the north-facing front porch.

The other potential site is on the western edge of this same porch, where
the vine can climb up the railing corner and possibly up the side of the
house. It will receive more sun in this area -- qualifying it as a

"partial
sun" location (afternoon sun, but shaded in part by the house next door).

I think it would look great if this vine would grow up the side/corner of
the house. However, my house has vinyl siding. Although the web sites
I've read say "Its climbing stems cling to whatever it is growing on" --
I'm wondering if this means siding, too? Or is the siding too slippery

and
impenetrable for the stems?

Any advice much appreciated.

-- pelirojaroja

Yes, it will cling and yes, you will regret it. Vine covered houses have a
"charm myth" about them. What they are instead are maintainence nightmares
with lots of water infiltration problems. Even with vinyl siding, the
additional water held right against your house will find a way in. And, if
you ever decide to remove the vine when you do have a problem, those little
suckers can be a nightmare to remove. Instead, make a free standing trellis
or attach it to your eaves and let the vine grow up it.

Sunflower
MS 7b

[IMG] code is On

Rose clinging. mm Lawns 4 04-01-2007 03:36 AM
cleaning vinyl siding? Tony Pacc Gardening 4 14-10-2003 02:12 AM
Cleaning vinyl siding - not ordinary "stain" Universal Inquirer Lawns 0 04-10-2003 10:22 PM
How to put soil against Siding?? Al Knight Gardening 5 11-08-2003 02:42 PM
Cedar siding to mulch? Ann Onymous Lawns 3 15-07-2003 05:02 AM