Old 03-03-2003, 07:04 PM
paghat

Default Do You Recognize This Bracket Fungus??

I'm merely guessing these are Ganoderma lucidum bracket fungus, but
they're not as shiny on top as G lucidum would usually be, & I can't see
that they are particularly stemmed underneath but are more purely
shelf-like. So I am probably guessing in entirely the wrong direction,
having very little knowledge of fungi. Anyhoo, here are two pictures of
them growing on the side of a rotting fireplace round:

http://www.paghat.com/images/bracketfungus1_feb.jpg

http://www.paghat.com/images/bracketfungus2_feb.jpg

They're only about two inches or two & a half inches wide, quite thin, &
strongly striped. They growing native here on west side of Puget Sound
geographically near the rain forest. The decaying round they're growing on
is fir. I'd settle for being sure of the genus, but if anyone can judge
the species from just photos, great.

I'm going to preserve this spot as-is so that the brackets continue to
grow. I think they're gorgeous.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 03-03-2003, 07:15 PM
treelike

paghat wrote in message ...

They're only about two inches or two & a half inches wide, quite thin, &
strongly striped. They growing native here on west side of Puget Sound
geographically near the rain forest. The decaying round they're growing on
is fir. I'd settle for being sure of the genus, but if anyone can judge
the species from just photos, great.

Look like Many Zoned Polypore (Trametes versicolor) to me. Very common
fungus perhaps the most common fungus, in the uk anyway. Very variable too
but always with the characteristic zones on top, hence the name. Some people
believe it has medicinal value, strengthening the immune system when made
into a tea. Don't go making a tea with it though because I might be wrong
and it may be poisonous!

I'm going to preserve this spot as-is so that the brackets continue to
grow. I think they're gorgeous.

Yes they are nice aren't they. I found some last year which had blue zones
on it which you can just about see in this picture I took.

http://website.lineone.net/~treelike/0844.h5.jpg

Old 03-03-2003, 08:51 PM
paghat

In article , "treelike"
wrote:

paghat wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks! That certainly seems to be it.

-paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 06-03-2003, 05:27 AM
Daniel B. Wheeler

"treelike" wrote in message ...
paghat wrote in message ...

They're only about two inches or two & a half inches wide, quite thin, &
strongly striped. They growing native here on west side of Puget Sound
geographically near the rain forest. The decaying round they're growing on
is fir. I'd settle for being sure of the genus, but if anyone can judge
the species from just photos, great.

Look like Many Zoned Polypore (Trametes versicolor) to me. Very common
fungus perhaps the most common fungus, in the uk anyway. Very variable too
but always with the characteristic zones on top, hence the name. Some people
believe it has medicinal value, strengthening the immune system when made
into a tea. Don't go making a tea with it though because I might be wrong
and it may be poisonous!

Trametes versicolor is among the most sought after of Chinese
medicinal mushrooms. I believe David Aurora, speaking to the Oregon
Mycological Society several years ago, noted it was the first mushroom
to sell-out at Chinese farmer's markets wherever he went.

In Benjamin's "Mushrooms: Poisons and Panaceas", Dr. Benjamin notes
that anti-cancer properties for this fungus has been claimed, then
gives 10 medical citations.

The mushroom is typically chewed like gum, not really eaten per se.
While it is thought to strengthen the immune system, the major use is
as a pain killer. The Chinese use it like aspirin. I have heard it is
considered among the safest of Chinese medicinal "herbs", which may
not always help in alleviating the illness, but never _harms_.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

[IMG] code is On

Treating Bracket Fungi Luke Australia 2 07-07-2008 04:26 AM
Wall bracket for hozelock hose reel Michael McGrath United Kingdom 13 01-08-2006 07:25 AM
Do You Recognize This Rhododendron?? paghat Gardening 8 23-03-2004 09:12 PM
Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower? paghat Gardening 12 30-03-2003 02:32 AM