Old 10-07-2003, 04:32 AM
junkyardcat

Default Castor Bean Seeds

I went to a yard sale a few weeks ago and commented on a lady's flower
gardens. She gave me a bunch of different seeds and cuttings One thing she
gave me was several pods of Castor Bean seeds (the spikey ball looking
things). She said just soak them in water a few days and then plant them. My
question is...some of the spikey balls have disintegrated in the water,
leaving just a cluster of 3 beans. Can I just plant that cluster without the
spikey thing around it? Sorry to sound so dumb, but I've never even seen
Castor Bean plants until the other day.

Thanks!
Angie

Old 10-07-2003, 05:44 AM
zxcvbob

junkyardcat wrote:

I went to a yard sale a few weeks ago and commented on a lady's flower
gardens. She gave me a bunch of different seeds and cuttings One thing she
gave me was several pods of Castor Bean seeds (the spikey ball looking
things). She said just soak them in water a few days and then plant them. My
question is...some of the spikey balls have disintegrated in the water,
leaving just a cluster of 3 beans. Can I just plant that cluster without the
spikey thing around it? Sorry to sound so dumb, but I've never even seen
Castor Bean plants until the other day.

Thanks!
Angie

She probably meant for you to take the beans out of the pods and soak them.
Separate the clusters of beans and plant them individually.

You are aware of how posionous those beans are, and how big the plants get
don't you?

Good luck, and best regards,
Bob

Old 11-07-2003, 09:45 PM
J. Farnsworth Wallaby

Castor Beans are very invasive. It's taken me quite a while to get rid of them
from my avocado grove. Be very careful!

Alain

Old 12-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Brandon

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I went to a yard sale a few weeks ago and commented on a lady's flower
gardens. She gave me a bunch of different seeds and cuttings One thing

she
gave me was several pods of Castor Bean seeds (the spikey ball looking
things). She said just soak them in water a few days and then plant them.

My
question is...some of the spikey balls have disintegrated in the water,
leaving just a cluster of 3 beans. Can I just plant that cluster without

the
spikey thing around it? Sorry to sound so dumb, but I've never even seen
Castor Bean plants until the other day.

Thanks!
Angie

You can just plant the seeds.
The seeds are very poisonous, but must be ingested from what I understand,
topical poisoning is not possible. If there are small children or pets
around who might be inclined to try to eat the seeds from the pods that will
develop on you new plants...cut the pod clusters off and dispose of them
where they cant be found. Do this before the pods pop open and drop the
seeds.
A friend has one Castor in his backyard, the trunk diameter is about 6
inches and it stands about 12 feet tall. With proper pruning they can be
made to look like a very tropical tree.