Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Myrmecodia

Default English bluebells in Eastern US?

One of my earliest memories is of picking bluebells, presumably
Hyacinthoides non-scripta, in the English woods. I'd like to try
growing some in our garden in the North Carolina piedmont, but I am
unsure whether they would tolerate our hot summers. Any ideas? If
Hyacinthoides won't work, I may try Mertensia virginica as a
substitute.

Myrmecodia

--
Myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com
Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Both Hyacinthoides non-scripta and Mertensia virginica should do well for
you.

You may want to try Campanula as well.

om...

Old 10-07-2003, 07:44 PM
John McGaw

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
om...
One of my earliest memories is of picking bluebells, presumably
Hyacinthoides non-scripta, in the English woods. I'd like to try
growing some in our garden in the North Carolina piedmont, but I am
unsure whether they would tolerate our hot summers. Any ideas? If
Hyacinthoides won't work, I may try Mertensia virginica as a
substitute.

Myrmecodia

--
Myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com

I've grown the English variety with some success here in eastern Tennessee.
In locations where they were happy they were quite prolific and seem to be
spreading. In locations where they (presumably) weren't happy they barely
came up the first spring after planting. Trouble is that there seems to be
no pattern to where they did well and where they didn't. Sadly they weren't
cheap bulbs so experimentation gets expensive.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old 10-07-2003, 10:44 PM
David Hill

"...... If Hyacinthoides won't work, I may try Mertensia virginica as a
substitute. ......"

Certainly you may. I doubt if anyone will object.
As to whether you can is another matter.

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

[IMG] code is On

English bluebells jane United Kingdom 24 09-05-2003 01:08 AM
Eastern Red Bud and underplanting rosemarie face Gardening 1 23-04-2003 02:08 PM
Looking for fellow aquarists in Eastern Tennessee.... 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
[IBC] eastern red cedar adam roler Bonsai 3 21-03-2003 01:44 AM
Looking for fellow aquarists in Eastern Tennessee.... 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 17-02-2003 04:38 PM