Old 14-07-2003, 03:42 PM
llama mama

Default transplanting sundews & pitcher plants

my sundews, flytraps & pitcher plants are outgrowing the pots they came
in. i'd like to transplant them into a terrarium so i can install a
growlight & keep the humidity up. currently they're on my kitchen
windowsill, which has good light for them but is right over the propane
tank & water heater vent. that can't be good for them.
what soil mix should i use for a terrarium? how deep should it be? once
established in the terrarium should i arrange for a winter dormancy
period? my round leaved sundew (drosera rotundifolia) is the only one
that has ever gone dormant, apparently being more day length sensitive
that the rest of my collection. it just broke dormancy about 3 weeks ago.
is there a group for carniverous plant fans?
lee

--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital
Old 18-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Siberian Husky

llama mama wrote in message ...
my sundews, flytraps & pitcher plants are outgrowing the pots they came
in. i'd like to transplant them into a terrarium so i can install a
growlight & keep the humidity up. currently they're on my kitchen
windowsill, which has good light for them but is right over the propane
tank & water heater vent. that can't be good for them.
what soil mix should i use for a terrarium?

Check out the carnivorous plant FAQ in
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

how deep should it be? once
established in the terrarium should i arrange for a winter dormancy
period?

So far the "little terrarium" in my office only used about 0.75 or 1
inch thick of soil mix. They are doing fine, but I think I might need
to use thicker mix. I am using the transparent plastic container
(sold in pet stores for hamsters or mice) for my terrarium. I do not
put the cover on -- the Sarracenia flava and S. leucophylla outgrew
the cover.

I moved the terrarium from office (air-conditioned and dry; not much
preferred by carnivorous plants) home in the front yard, from middle
November to middle February as the dormancy period (I am in Seattle
area). I grew flytrap (regular and red dragon), S. flava, S.
leucophylla and S. purpurea in one terrarium.

From the books and web sites I have read, yes, they need a dormancy
period. Not sure about the Sarracenias, but for flytraps, if you do
not provide a dormancy period, they probably cannot survive more than
two years, and they might not grow well.

Old 18-07-2003, 10:07 PM
llama mama

(Siberian Husky) wrote in
om:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Ah! thank you! just what i needed

lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital
connection between them. -Leo Buscaglia, author (1924-1998)

[IMG] code is On

Pitcher plants? Fred United Kingdom 0 24-08-2007 08:34 PM
michael's pitcher kills around our button after we mould in it Nelly United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 01:42 PM
well Paulie will love the coffee, and if Penny quickly learns it too, the pitcher will expect beneath the rich corner Sara United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 10:37 AM
Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
pitcher plant (Indina cup) REBEL JOE Ponds 3 05-04-2003 02:56 AM