Old 04-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Hawkeye

Default Need some help and insight

Last year, the two-family garden plot was properly prepared and planted.
About 4-5 weeks into the growing season, plants began to show signs of
some sort of disease (similar to blossom-rot). Foilage would begin
turning from green to yellow then to black and later falling off from
bottom to top of plant. The plant "appeared to die from the ground up.

Squashes went first, then tomatoes, then green peppers. Most beans
seems to survive longer but did eventually succumb. Only potted Hot
Peppers made it through the entire growing season but other tomatoes
potted suffered the same results as their cousins planted directly in
the ground.

I live in Florida (NE) and about 1000 yds from a major creek. Elevation
is about 15-20 feet above.

My suspicion is a fungal infection in the soil. ?? treatable with
copper sulfate???

Thanks in advance,

Robb

Old 04-03-2003, 04:15 PM
paghat

In article , Hawkeye wrote:

[...]

Since you say the ground was properly prepared I presume it isn't possible
the garden was chloratic from excessive alkalinity & lack of nitrogen.
Call the nearest university's agricultural extension & ask where you can
get a full soil test done, probably also a test of the roots of something
that died or is dying. Your guess of a fungus is possible, but i never
heard of an entire huge planting area becoming fungus-ridden killing such
a wide variety of vegetables, there's usually some stuff unaffected, & the
fungus doesn't spread out universally that quickly. I've always been lucky
(knock woody shrubs) & not had to learn a whole lot about garden diseases,
let alone entire-garden garden diseases, but from what little I know I
would suspect nematodes that attack roots. I'd also be suspicious of
toxins, perhaps something you introduced via herbicide-contaminated
compost while preparing the whole area, or a spread of farm manure that
had had something like lye added to it. If nothing had been growing there
previously, it may already have been contaminated by toxins. Perhaps lease
likely but not impossible, an entire garden that is simply over-watered
could also fail -- the daily Florida rainfall, plus waterings, plus
seepage from the stream could drown it.

If it is a fungus you'll still need a soil test diagnostic as not all
fungal diseases would be stopped by the same fungicide, &amp you'd need so
MUCH fungicide for that huge an area you wouldn't want to waste money &
add chemicals to the ground that don't even bother the particular fungus.
And if it were actually nematodes or chemical toxins, you'd just be
putting more toxins into the soil for no positive effect whatsoever.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 04-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Pam

Your suspicion is probably correct - sounds a lot like Phytophthera, which
is a soil-borne fungus and can affect each of these crops. It is not easily
treated in the soil except through soil fumigation, which is not practical
nor recommended for home gardeners. You absolutely need to plant your
vegetable crops in a different area this year - better yet, grow them in
containers or make new raised beds with excellent drainage and good quality
potting soil - do not use garden soil. Avoid overhead irrigation, which
tends to spread the disease by dispersing fungal spores.

Here's a couple of links that might help:
http://www.umassvegetable.org/soil_c...ra_blight.html

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...t_Phytoph.htm.

Soil-borne fungal diseases are a royal pain - rather devastating and very
difficult to control.

pam - gardengal

Old 05-03-2003, 02:03 AM
Cereoid+10+

Are you saying that he shouldn't use the garden at all this year until the
fungus problem is eradicated?

http://www.umassvegetable.org/soil_c...tophthora_blig

Old 05-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 01:52:18 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
wrote:

Phytophthera, which
is a soil-borne fungus and can affect each of these crops. It is not

easily
treated in the soil except through soil fumigation,

look into compost tea and good quality tested compost. Neither of the
previous "experts" are very well versed in the realm of organic
growing.

"2001 Fresh Market Vegetable Variety and Cultural
Practice Trial Results from Upstate New York
Evaluation of Two Commercially Available Composts
for Managing Phytophthora Fruit Rot of Pumpkin
Project Team
Anu Rangarajan, Dept. of Fruit and Vegetable Science, Cornell
Margaret Tuttle McGrath, Dept. of Plant Pathology, Cornell
Ted Blomgren, CCE, Capital District
Funded by the New York State IPM Progam
Summary
The goal of this project was to evaluate commercially available
composts for
managing Phytophthora fruit rot of pumpkin(Cucurbita pepo L.).
Research plots
were located in Riverhead, Long Island and Schoharie, New York.
Results may be
applied throughout the Northeast or nationally. Five composts were
screened for
disease suppressiveness against common soil borne disease organisms in
the
greenhouse. One product stood out as highly suppressive. This compost
(Nutribrew) was then applied to two fields with a history of
Phytophthora capsici.
In one field, no disease occurred. Pumpkin growth and yield was
significantly
improved where compost was applied, and 20 tons/a was adequate to
achieve this
improvement. The compost contributed to both nutrients as well as
moisture
conservation. In the other field, the disease pressure was high, and
compost
applications did not reduce the disease level. These results may
suggest the need
for several years of application before diseases may be reduced.
Intoduction

Regards,

tomj
Old 05-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Hawkeye

Cereoid+10+ wrote:
Problems with fungus? Use a fungicide!!!

SUBJECT WAS NEED HELP AND INSIGHT My suspicion is a fungal infection.
I KNOW WHEN TO ASK A QUESTION FOR SOMETHING OUTSIDE MY EXPERTISE. THATS
WHY THIS NG EXISTS.

Old 05-03-2003, 05:03 AM
Cereoid+10+

Then go ask Trapper John or Radar what to do.

THERE'S NO NEED TO YELL, DUDE.

You already had the answer in your original question.

What you really are looking for is someone to hold your hand.

Old 05-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Pam

wrote:

Phytophthera, which
is a soil-borne fungus and can affect each of these crops. It is not

easily
treated in the soil except through soil fumigation,

look into compost tea and good quality tested compost. Neither of the
previous "experts" are very well versed in the realm of organic
growing.

No need to get snarky, Tom. I don't consider myself an expert in anything.
The poster asked for insight, which I hope I helped to provide. And I am
quite well versed in organic methods. While compost tea does appear to
offer some impressive disease suppression capabilities, all we have to go
on are a few field studies and annecdotal experience. I am not going to
argue this point with you - not all compost teas are equal, not all
homeowners have access to them and there is no scientifically prepared and
tested body of knowledge to support their claims.

Old 05-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Tom Jaszewski

Perhps a little closer look into compost and suppression? There's lots
of good research popping up. Comments like "It is not easily
treated in the soil except through soil fumigation," are obtuse.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:15 AM
Tom Jaszewski

How obtuse to even mention eradication. Why not encourage better soil
management and recommend practical methods in the reach of a home
gardener. A simple KIS compost tea brewer with vermicompost from a
reliable source WILL produce consistent results. There are lots of
successes outside of the Soil Soup world of compost tea. Field trials?
Thousands of acres are under compost and compost tea methods and
successfully out competing pathogenic soil fungi. Why encourage
continuing in the same old tired paradigm?

http://www.simplici-tea.com/

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 14:26:49 GMT, Pam wrote:

It's neither obtuse nor inaccurate - certain soil borne fungi are NOT easily
erradicated except through fumigation. The disease suppressing attributes of
compost have been recognized for years - HOWEVER, suppression and control are
quite different and not all pathogens will respond in the same manner and not
all compost is equal. It is not practical or helpful to suggest to a hobby
gardener that he conduct his own field trials to determine how best to control
the problem, when something as simple as routine crop rotation or planting in
containers or raised beds will work.

Old 06-03-2003, 04:39 AM
Pam

A cover crop, greens, a root crop, flowers even - something other than curcubits
and members of the Solanum family. Like many pathogens, Phytophthora tends to be
host specific A particular species of phytophthora attacks a specific species of
plant.

Cereoid+10+ wrote:

Something else................like?

Pam wrote in message
I'm saying if it is Phytophthora, he should not plant the same crops in

the same
place. Annual rotations of these types of crops are recommended anyway, as

the
disease problems which tend to affect them typically overwinter in the

soil and
will reappear the next season. Soil-borne fungal problems like

phytophthora (and
verticilllium and others) are extremely long lived, do not respond to

topical
fungicides and are virtually impossible to erradicate. Not all plants are
susceptible or to the same degree - he could plant something else in this
location.