Old 15-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Patty Winter

Default Dwarf guavas--best ways to eat?

A year or so ago, I planted a dwarf guava tree because, well, I
like guavas, I saw this tree at a nursery, and I don't have room
for a full-size fruit tree. :-)

Last year it put out a dozen or so small fruits. I wasn't sure
whether I was supposed to eat the rinds or not and couldn't
find any dwarf guava sites that had that information, so although
it was a challenge and I lost a fair bit of pulp in the process,
I did peel them.

I just tried again and was able to find out that it's fine to
eat the rinds of ripe guavas. So I guess I can eat these dwarf
ones whole, but are there any uses for which I'd be better off
peeling them? E.g., can a blender make the rinds smooth in drinks,
or if I want guava juice, would I be advised to use only the pulp?

Anyone who's had experience with dwarf fruits, please suggest
any other ideas you might have for using my guavas (either with
or without the rinds!).

Thanks!

Patty

Old 16-07-2003, 05:12 PM

Here in the Dominican Republic there are lots of guava trees and we
eat trhe enire fruit, as well as unsing it completely for making juice
in a blender with a bit of water and straining it after to remove the
seed. Very tasty and healthy.

Karl

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:50:12 -0700,
(dkra) wrote:

x-no-archive: yes

In article ,
(Patty
Winter) wrote:

snip

I just tried again and was able to find out that it's fine to
eat the rinds of ripe guavas. So I guess I can eat these dwarf
ones whole, but are there any uses for which I'd be better off
peeling them? E.g., can a blender make the rinds smooth in drinks,
or if I want guava juice, would I be advised to use only the pulp?

snip

We used to cut our pineapple guavas open and eat them with a spoon, like
sherbet.

-- dkra

Old 16-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Patty Winter

Thanks to Dkra and Karl for the suggestions. Dunno whether I have a
spoon tiny enough to scoop them out. :-) Straining the juice sounds
like an excellent idea. Glad to know that I don't have to peel the
little buggers. :-)

Patty

Old 17-07-2003, 06:05 AM
Zemedelec

I grew up in a place in West Los Angeles (Mandeville Canyon) that used to be a
botanical garden, so it had all sorts of unusual plants---including pineapple
and strawberry guavas. As I remember, the easiest way to get all the tasty
stuff out was to bite off the "flower" end, then suck out the pulp.
zemedelec