Old 16-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Heidi

Default clematis-tepal/petals

I'm a newbie as well, and my knowledge on this subject is based only on
observations of my own Jackmanii. The first year I planted my vine, I
only had 4 petal flowers. Now in the vine's 3'rd year, it has produced
both 4 petal, and 5 petal flowers ( and it has grown tremendously since
it's first year as one scraggly looking vine, each year it comes back
MUCH fuller than before. When I first adopted my clematis I thought
maybe I would need to buy more than one plant for it to fill out the way
I had hoped...ha ha). So, my very unscientific guess would be that
age/maturity has a factor in the size of the flower/number of petals.

Heidi
7b

DigitalVinyl wrote:

I bought a Polish Spirit. The only difference I noted between a
Jackmanii and the Polish Spirit is that the Jackmanii photos always
seemed to have four petals and PS had five. I've read that J. can have
4-6. I also understand the PS is clasified as a J.

The clematis I have has over 15 flowers but all have four petals.
Is the number of petals 4 vs 5 vs 6 controlled by variety or
environmental/fertilizer. I actually prefer the fuller look of a five
or six petalled one.

Sooo... is there a variety that tends to have more petals. Is if just
a random thing? More petals when the plant is well established?

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Old 17-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Pam

DigitalVinyl wrote:

"David J Bockman" wrote:

I'm pretty sure Polish Spirit is in the Vitacella group, not Jackmanii...

Dave

Some literature on the net says that is now considered more of a
jackmanii. Although from what I've found the jackmanii is a much
larger flower from online descriptions. It certainly has a similar
appearance to jackmanii.

There is a slight relationship, but only through distant parentage. Jackmanii,
the first of the large flowering hybrids and pretty much the source of all the
LFH clematis currently available, was hybridized in 1858 by George Jackman
from Clematis laguinosa and a viticella, 'Atrorubens'. 'Polish Spirit' is
considered a small flowered clematis, not a LFH, and is listed by the
International and American Clematis Societies as a viticella hybrid, its exact
parentage undisclosed.

The number of tepals on most clematis is variable, ranging in number from 4-6,
sometimes as many as 8. You will often find flowers with varied numbers of
tepals growing on the same plant. It has nothing to do with size or maturity,
just an idiosyncracy of the plant.

pam - gardengal

Old 18-07-2003, 07:52 PM
DigitalVinyl

Pam wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:

"David J Bockman" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I guess I shouldn't make assumptions based upon photos.
Though I'm pleased it is flowering.

(and now for excessive use of my new camera!)
http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl6...Spirit-med.jpg

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Old 19-07-2003, 04:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

"David J Bockman" wrote:

I'm pretty sure Polish Spirit is in the Vitacella group, not Jackmanii...

Dave

Some literature on the net says that is now considered more of a
jackmanii. Although from what I've found the jackmanii is a much
larger flower from online descriptions. It certainly has a similar
appearance to jackmanii.

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .
I bought a Polish Spirit. The only difference I noted between a
Jackmanii and the Polish Spirit is that the Jackmanii photos always
seemed to have four petals and PS had five. I've read that J. can have
4-6. I also understand the PS is clasified as a J.

The clematis I have has over 15 flowers but all have four petals.
Is the number of petals 4 vs 5 vs 6 controlled by variety or
environmental/fertilizer. I actually prefer the fuller look of a five
or six petalled one.

Sooo... is there a variety that tends to have more petals. Is if just
a random thing? More petals when the plant is well established?

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

[IMG] code is On

Need Rose Petals Bippy North Carolina 3 12-09-2004 03:34 AM
Lotus petals falling off prematurely Lorraine Lawler Ponds 16 21-08-2003 06:12 AM
Drying rose petals Pickle United Kingdom 4 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
Drying rose petals Pickle United Kingdom 4 04-06-2003 09:44 PM
Rhododendron without petals Oryx United Kingdom 2 07-04-2003 10:20 PM