Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Peter

Default Magnolia or other Tree suggestions

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:53:43 -0500, dementia13 wrote:

In article , Peter wrote:

What tree's would be evergreen, grow about 30' high with
a 20' spread, forming a canopy. I was considering a
magnolia.. but am open to suggestions.

Oh, yeah, I missed that about a canopy. Are you sure it's a Magnolia
you're looking for? Evergreen Magnolias have a pyramidal form like an
enormous holly, they're not a canopy tree in the sense that an oak or
maple would be. Again, if you do get a Magnolia, make sure that it's not
one 100' high with a 50' spread.

The canopy would be a nice touch but, what I picture would be a tree
form that provides shade underneath, versus something like a blue
spruce which has a nice shape from top to bottom. Want to use the
tree form to provide a center focus for smaller shrubs and flowers.

I've always been impressed by the magnolia's in Washington, D.C.
and think it would be fun to raise one..(or two...or many ....)

Thanks !!!