Old 17-07-2003, 12:02 PM
coastalplainsnowman

Default crabgrass 'preventer'

I put down Scotts with Halts in early April, as per the instructions. That
meant I couldn't seed this spring, but I figured at least I'd lessen my
crabgrass problem. I look at my lawn this weekend, and whaddaya know?
Crabgrass growing in exactly the same places it did last year, only I think
it has even arrived a bit sooner.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did I time it wrong or does this stuff
just not work as advertised?

Thanks

Old 17-07-2003, 01:12 PM
David J Bockman

FWIW, I too have suffered an invasion of crabgrass this year... perhaps
enviormental factors were optimum this year...

Dave

Old 17-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Dave G

It could be a lot of things. Timing is critical. Once the soil
temperature hits 55 degrees you might be to late. Did you put it down
at the correct rate? I don't know about that product. I use a pre-em
without fertilizer and get it down a little earlier than I should. It
lasts 90 days in the soil and I've had decent sucess(luck).

Old 17-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

I put down Scotts with Halts in early April, as per the instructions. That
meant I couldn't seed this spring, but I figured at least I'd lessen my
crabgrass problem. I look at my lawn this weekend, and whaddaya know?
Crabgrass growing in exactly the same places it did last year, only I think
it has even arrived a bit sooner.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did I time it wrong or does this stuff
just not work as advertised?

Thanks

If the soil is disturbed, the pre-emergence effect will be diminished.
Yank out what you can by hand and prevent the damn stuff from seeding.
After the intense summer heat has subsided, get some quality seed and
protective straw over it and keep it moist. Next year use the
pre-emergence the same week you see the first dandilion bloom (in your
neighborhood), then apply the preemergence AGAIN after 90 days. The
following year you may only need to use the preemergence one time,
depeneding how thick your grass has grown. My lawn no longer grows
crab grass very well--it's just too thick and chokes out most weeds,
but I overseed every fall.