Old 05-03-2003, 04:51 AM
will

Default Composting bin question.

Is there any way that I could use a simple trashcan for a compost bin?

I can't really afford paying a lot of money for a compost bin thing, and
I don't want an ugly compost pile.

Is there anything that I can do to "modify" a trash can with a locking
lid to compost beautifully?

=will=

Old 05-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Penny Morgan

If you were to examine a commercial compost bin, you would see that it is
either round or square with a cover that lifts off and lots of small holes
on the sides. The bottom is completely open and exposed to the ground.

So the answer is a definite yes to converting a trash can with a locking
lid. All you need to do is drill small holes all around the sides of the
can and on the bottom for sufficient drainage. The nice thing about using a
barrel is that you can roll it to mix the ingredients. I wouldn't drill
holes on the lid because you won't be able to control the amount of water
that gets in when it rains heavily.

I would also recommend using more than one barrel. In other words, fill one
up and roll it whenever you get the chance, and in the meantime, you can
continue filling another one or two with fresh scraps. Let the first one
just cook without adding new materials. I had 3 commercial bins set up in
my prior backyard (just moved to a new house 6 mos. ago). I would fill the
first and second to the very top by layering scraps, leaves, eggshells,
garden leftovers, etc. and just stir them once in awhile. The third one was
actively filled with household scraps, etc. If that one filled up, I would
add a little to the top of the other two again. The one advantage to having
the bins was the bottom had a door that was removable to scoop the compost
from the bottom and I was able to leave the top alone. The advantage you
would have with a barrel is that the compost is more easily stirred and will
cook faster.

Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 07-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Matt Leber

Here is a design from Seattle Tilth's web site for a garbage can composter.
It's basically a garbage can with holes buried in the ground.

http://www.seattletilth.org/download/foodwaste.pdf

--

Matt...
Old 08-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Beecrofter

Did you build a tumbler bin out of an old oil drum?

Jan

No, I compost 15 cu yds at a time in a big pile.

You could use a 55 gallon drum but I would still reinforce the area
where the axle passes through.
Carwashes and commercial laundries buy soap in plastic drums and will
part with ones not having a deposit cheaply.