Old 18-06-2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost bin Question

Are there any dangers having a compost bin right next to growing vegetables?
Some of my potatoes seem to have blight - the foliage is going black / brown
and dying off. Initially I put this down to the wet weather but I've just
noticed the potatoes affected are near the compost bin. In fact the compost
bin seems to be the epicentre of the problem. Can the bacteria and fungal
spores in the compost bin infect nearby veg? The bin regularly has lots of
grass clippings in it and gets extremely hot and steamy.

David.

Old 18-06-2007, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "David \(Normandy\)" contains these words:

Are there any dangers having a compost bin right next to growing vegetables?
Some of my potatoes seem to have blight - the foliage is going black /
brown
and dying off. Initially I put this down to the wet weather but I've just
noticed the potatoes affected are near the compost bin. In fact the compost
bin seems to be the epicentre of the problem. Can the bacteria and fungal
spores in the compost bin infect nearby veg? The bin regularly has lots of
grass clippings in it and gets extremely hot and steamy.

I can't answer the fungus part of the question, but I know there is
'leakage' from the bin [well mine did] so they could be getting too much
of something. One I had resulted in a great improvement in the quality
of the plants close to it, but htye were just flowers so it didn't
matter.

HTH
Beryl
Old 18-06-2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Are there any dangers having a compost bin right next to growing

vegetables?

If a bin has been in same place many years I guess the ground beneath it
must be super rich. A nearby plant may grow roots into that area, possibly
to its detriment, depending on the plant.

Old 18-06-2007, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
k...

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Are there any dangers having a compost bin right next to growing

vegetables?

If a bin has been in same place many years I guess the ground beneath it
must be super rich. A nearby plant may grow roots into that area, possibly
to its detriment, depending on the plant.

The bin has only been there a few months. I tend to put them where space
becomes available in the veg plot. They get moved around quite regularly. My
compost is 95% grass clippings so rots down incredibly fast.

At our previous house, where the bin stayed put for a long time I discovered
that brassicas did poorly in the spot but potatoes thrived. When I checked
the pH of the soil around the bin it was quite acid. I bet the soil was
loaded with nitrate too.

Perhaps I'm putting two and two together and getting five - it just looks
suspicious that a semi-circle of potatoes within a radius of around 8 feet
of the bin are diseased but beyond that the others look ok.

David.

Old 18-06-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
k...

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Are there any dangers having a compost bin right next to growing

vegetables?

If a bin has been in same place many years I guess the ground beneath it
must be super rich. A nearby plant may grow roots into that area, possibly
to its detriment, depending on the plant.

I've got a yellow Buddleia globosa that's done that. No detriment so far, it
loves it. Even though I chop some roots off every time I take compost out.

Steve

Old 18-06-2007, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Are there any dangers having a compost bin right next to growing
vegetables?
Some of my potatoes seem to have blight - the foliage is going black /
brown and dying off. Initially I put this down to the wet weather but I've
just noticed the potatoes affected are near the compost bin. In fact the
compost bin seems to be the epicentre of the problem. Can the bacteria and
fungal spores in the compost bin infect nearby veg? The bin regularly has
lots of grass clippings in it and gets extremely hot and steamy.

Have you at any time put potato tops on the compost after digging them out?

If the tops become rotten they will sometimes affect other potato plants.

I now put all tops in the dustbin.

Old 19-06-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Are there any dangers having a compost bin right next to growing
vegetables?
Some of my potatoes seem to have blight - the foliage is going black /
brown and dying off. Initially I put this down to the wet weather but
I've just noticed the potatoes affected are near the compost bin. In fact
the compost bin seems to be the epicentre of the problem. Can the
bacteria and fungal spores in the compost bin infect nearby veg? The bin
regularly has lots of grass clippings in it and gets extremely hot and
steamy.

Have you at any time put potato tops on the compost after digging them
out?

If the tops become rotten they will sometimes affect other potato plants.

I now put all tops in the dustbin.

Yes! We've had a few earlies lately and I've put the tops into the compost
heap next to the potatoes. Perhaps it would be better if I put the tops in a
different compost bin - a good distance from them.

David.

Old 19-06-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:

| Yes! We've had a few earlies lately and I've put the tops into the compost
| heap next to the potatoes. Perhaps it would be better if I put the tops in a
| different compost bin - a good distance from them.

The problem applies only for a short time after cutting, and it is NOT
TRUE that blight can be spread by composting the haulms. It can be
spread by small tubers regrowing the next year, but those are easy to
pull up before the blight develops.

An alternative is just to put them in a shallow hole, covered by a
thin layer of soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-06-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:52:55 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

Are there any dangers having a compost bin right next to growing vegetables?
Some of my potatoes seem to have blight - the foliage is going black / brown
and dying off. Initially I put this down to the wet weather but I've just
noticed the potatoes affected are near the compost bin. In fact the compost
bin seems to be the epicentre of the problem. Can the bacteria and fungal
spores in the compost bin infect nearby veg? The bin regularly has lots of
grass clippings in it and gets extremely hot and steamy.

David.

IMHO it is too early for blight which usually arrives late August.

Pam in Bristol