Old 23-08-2003, 09:22 AM
MLL

Default Mexican rose - mexican sage

Hello everyone,

I have a bush in My garden that has lovely little white flowers on it that
smell very sweet.
The leaves of the bush have 5 fingers - each is separate form the other but
all are on the end of one stem.
The leaves also are very fragrant but different from the flowers.
My mother in law suggested it was 'Mexican rose' but I have not had any luck
finding
a photo on the web to match. 'Mexican sage' came up but looks nothing like
this.

Thanks,
MLL

Old 23-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Natalie

"MLL" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I have a bush in My garden that has lovely little white flowers on it that
smell very sweet.
The leaves of the bush have 5 fingers - each is separate form the other

but
all are on the end of one stem.
The leaves also are very fragrant but different from the flowers.
My mother in law suggested it was 'Mexican rose' but I have not had any

luck
finding
a photo on the web to match. 'Mexican sage' came up but looks nothing like
this.

Thanks,
MLL

Is it a Choisya...commonly known as Mexican Orange Blossom?

Natalie

Old 23-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Natalie" wrote in message

"MLL" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I have a bush in My garden that has lovely little white flowers on it

that
smell very sweet.
The leaves of the bush have 5 fingers - each is separate form the other

but
all are on the end of one stem.
The leaves also are very fragrant but different from the flowers.
My mother in law suggested it was 'Mexican rose' but I have not had any

luck
finding
a photo on the web to match. 'Mexican sage' came up but looks nothing

like
this.

Thanks,
MLL

Is it a Choisya...commonly known as Mexican Orange Blossom?

Choisya leaves do not match the description.
My Choisya leaves are not fragrant.
My Choisyas do not flower.

Franz

Old 23-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Natalie

Is it a Choisya...commonly known as Mexican Orange Blossom?

Choisya leaves do not match the description.
My Choisya leaves are not fragrant.
My Choisyas do not flower.

Franz

Franz...check out this website it shows you what a Choisya in flower should
look like.

http://www.manntaylor.com/plantweek1e.html

Natalie

Old 23-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Natalie" wrote in message

Is it a Choisya...commonly known as Mexican Orange Blossom?

Choisya leaves do not match the description.
My Choisya leaves are not fragrant.
My Choisyas do not flower.

Franz

Franz...check out this website it shows you what a Choisya in flower

should
look like.

http://www.manntaylor.com/plantweek1e.html

Well, I'm damned. My Choisyas ternata Sundance are both only about 3 feet
high at age 14 yrs. They have lovely bright golden leaves but they have
never flowered. I have grown them purely for their leaf colour. Are my
plants something else?

Franz

Old 23-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , MLL Lorri_Lynn_Robinson
@hotmail.com writes
Hello everyone,

I have a bush in My garden that has lovely little white flowers on it that
smell very sweet.
The leaves of the bush have 5 fingers - each is separate form the other but
all are on the end of one stem.
The leaves also are very fragrant but different from the flowers.
My mother in law suggested it was 'Mexican rose' but I have not had any luck
finding
a photo on the web to match. 'Mexican sage' came up but looks nothing like
this.

Mexican Orange blossom, Choisya ternyata
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 23-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Is it a Choisya...commonly known as Mexican Orange Blossom?

Choisya leaves do not match the description.

No - they're 3 fingered rather than five. But I assumed that was a
miscounting without checking.

My Choisya leaves are not fragrant.

They should be! Aromatic rather than fragrant, but definitely smelly.

My Choisyas do not flower.

They should! That's the main point of growing them ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Natalie" wrote in message

"MLL" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

Is it a Choisya...commonly known as Mexican Orange Blossom?

Choisya leaves do not match the description.
My Choisya leaves are not fragrant.
My Choisyas do not flower.

Franz

Sure you have a choisia? leaves are exactly as described and very aromatic,
flowers twice each year with scented white flowers, only snag is the blasted
caterpillers that reduce it to shreds each winter!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Natalie" wrote in message

Is it a Choisya...commonly known as Mexican Orange Blossom?

Choisya leaves do not match the description.
My Choisya leaves are not fragrant.
My Choisyas do not flower.

Franz

Franz...check out this website it shows you what a Choisya in flower

should
look like.

http://www.manntaylor.com/plantweek1e.html

Well, I'm damned. My Choisyas ternata Sundance are both only about 3 feet
high at age 14 yrs. They have lovely bright golden leaves but they have
never flowered. I have grown them purely for their leaf colour. Are my
plants something else?

Franz

Sorry, I had not got down this far, if I had known you had sundance I would
have realised they are not as free flowering! good colour though :~)

Old 24-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Natalie

Sure you have a choisia? leaves are exactly as described and very

aromatic,
flowers twice each year with scented white flowers, only snag is the

blasted
caterpillers that reduce it to shreds each winter!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Don't have any problems with caterpillars on Choisyas here in North
London...then we don't get as many butterflies.

Natalie

Old 24-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Natalie" wrote in message

[...]

Indeed. I bought them purely for the leaf colour.

Franz

Old 24-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Natalie" wrote in message

"MLL" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

Is it a Choisya...commonly known as Mexican Orange Blossom?

Choisya leaves do not match the description.
My Choisya leaves are not fragrant.
My Choisyas do not flower.

Franz

Sure you have a choisia? leaves are exactly as described and very

aromatic,
flowers twice each year with scented white flowers, only snag is the

blasted
caterpillers that reduce it to shreds each winter!

I am not sure that the OP's description of the leaves is a match. My C.
ternata "Sundance" has triplet leaves, not quintuplet. Mind you, they are
quite aromatic.

Franz

Old 24-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Natalie" wrote in message

Sure you have a choisia? leaves are exactly as described and very

aromatic,
flowers twice each year with scented white flowers, only snag is the

blasted
caterpillers that reduce it to shreds each winter!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Don't have any problems with caterpillars on Choisyas here in North
London...then we don't get as many butterflies.

I know it is going off topic, but then going off-topic is a pleasant
pastime: There was an absolute explosion of butterflies in our garden
today. Literally hundreds on two Buddleias.
Large Garden White, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Red Admiral and Small
Copper (I think).

Franz

Old 25-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Natalie" wrote in message

"MLL" wrote in message

Sure you have a choisia? leaves are exactly as described and very

aromatic,
flowers twice each year with scented white flowers, only snag is the

blasted
caterpillers that reduce it to shreds each winter!

I am not sure that the OP's description of the leaves is a match. My C.
ternata "Sundance" has triplet leaves, not quintuplet. Mind you, they are
quite aromatic.

Franz

Your quite right, three leaflets on Choisya ternata, I missread the original
post as saying 3 (dyslexia rules ko), Choisya Aztec Pearl has 5 leaflets
(and does not get chewed to bits by caterpllars!) sorry to confuse!

Old 25-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Natalie" wrote in message

"MLL" wrote in message
Sure you have a choisia? leaves are exactly as described and very

aromatic,
flowers twice each year with scented white flowers, only snag is the

blasted
caterpillers that reduce it to shreds each winter!

I am not sure that the OP's description of the leaves is a match. My C.
ternata "Sundance" has triplet leaves, not quintuplet. Mind you, they

are
quite aromatic.

Franz

Your quite right, three leaflets on Choisya ternata, I missread the

original
post as saying 3 (dyslexia rules ko), Choisya Aztec Pearl has 5 leaflets
(and does not get chewed to bits by caterpllars!) sorry to confuse!

You have persuaded to swap one of my C ternatas for an Aztec Pearl. I will
be looking out for it in the spring.

I have been meaning to ask you: How many distinct C viticellas do you have
to attend to?

Franz

Red Autumn Sage question Dave Moss Gardening 3 20-12-2003 08:45 PM
Floppy Mexican Sage Fleemo Gardening 0 19-11-2003 10:32 AM
Silverado Sage (Cenizo) Scott Harper Texas 0 26-06-2003 04:51 PM
plain old sage (salvia officinalis) Hillary Israeli Edible Gardening 5 16-06-2003 04:04 PM
Sage smeckler United Kingdom 11 16-03-2003 05:56 PM