Old 22-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Joseph Meehan

Default Overseeding?

In another thread "overseeding" was noted as if it were standard
maintenance practice.

My experience is limited to Ohio and I am sure there are differences in
different areas, but is this standard practice? From personal experience I
have never seen this useful except for specific problems.

Why would a healthy lawn require or benefit from overseeding?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 22-07-2003, 01:22 PM
David J Bockman

For older lawns (like mine) it's been crucial as it's slowy replacing the
weeds, and even the coarse, wide-bladed fescue with finer grass. I'm sure
there will be a time when I skip years, but thus far I've done it every
fall.

Dave

Old 22-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:42:34 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

In another thread "overseeding" was noted as if it were standard
maintenance practice.

My experience is limited to Ohio and I am sure there are differences in
different areas, but is this standard practice? From personal experience I
have never seen this useful except for specific problems.

Why would a healthy lawn require or benefit from overseeding?

Many grasses will eventually thin out and when that happens you'll see
more weeds and less drought resistance the follwoing year.
Old 23-07-2003, 03:03 AM
BT

If you have Chinch bugs then you either use tons of pesticide or you overseed
every year just to try and keep up with the voracious insects. The northern
chinch bugs tend to fly from one area to another quite readily unlike the more
"stay in one place" ones in southern climes, so pesticides won't get rid of
chinch bugs in the north anyways. Newer types of lawn grass seed with endophytes
can be used to overseed infested areas and have proved to be very chinch bug
resistant. You have to overseed every year though...

BT

Old 23-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Joseph Meehan

Never had a problem. Just how far north do you need to be. I am in mid
Ohio and while a few people have reported them around here, they have not
bothered me and it has been years since I have used any pesticide on my lawn

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 23-07-2003, 11:12 PM
BT

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Never had a problem. Just how far north do you need to be. I am in mid
Ohio and while a few people have reported them around here, they have not
bothered me and it has been years since I have used any pesticide on my lawn

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Don't know the cut off point of latitude where the different types of chinch
bugs exist. But the northern variety does fly so if you are near an
infestation, you will eventually get them. We just happen to be in an area
where they are a big problem for everyone. Yet just two hours drive east of
here, nobody has any problems with them.

BT

"BT" wrote in message
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Does overseeding work? [email protected] Lawns 15 01-06-2003 03:08 PM
Overseeding procedure Dave Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Does overseeding work? [email protected] Gardening 2 14-04-2003 11:44 PM
Overseeding and Weed and Feed Keith Corwell Gardening 6 10-04-2003 03:32 PM
Overseeding procedure Dave Lawns 1 14-03-2003 02:44 AM