Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Roger Sheldon

Default Can ivy be planted in the summer?

Hi,

I have a steep slope, about 100 ft by 8 feet that gets lots of sun. I
want some kind of good looking ground cover that will control erosion.
I've pretty much decided on ivy since it is cheap, looks good, and is
ok in the sun.

Is it ok to plant ivy in the middle of the summer? (I've spent the
last 3 months getting the area prepped.) There are sprinklers nearby
which I'll use to keep the bed well watered.

Also, if you feel that there's a better choice than ivy, please let me
know.

My plan for planting is:
1. put down 1-2 inches of a dirt/peat moss mixture
2. put down 2 layers of burlap with decomposable stakes at the top to
keep it from sliding
3. plant lots of plants, closer than the recommended 12-18" apart
because I want it to grow in full as soon as possible
4. cover up the burlap with 1" of mulch.

I'm a newbie to all this, but this seems like a reasonable plan;
again, feel free to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Roger

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
spines and summer surprises, summer regulars and total garden MADNESS again........... madgardener Gardening 4 10-07-2003 03:20 AM