Old 24-07-2003, 01:12 AM
Hope Munro Smith

Default relocating to California

In article , Tracey
wrote:

Maybe I should just put them inside the trunk before
the border crossing and lie to the agent?!

Oh, I wouldn't do that. A random vehicle check would
then sure put a crimp in your day.

Tracey

Yeah, I suppose it would! Well thanks for all the ideas.
I will let you know what the results are. I would like to take
at least my orchids and my lucky bamboo, considering how much it
cost to buy them!
Old 24-07-2003, 01:12 AM
Hope Munro Smith

In article ,
"NewsUser" wrote:

"Hope Munro Smith" wrote in message
. 83...
Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to California from Texas,

My condolences....

LOL, that was where the job was!
Old 24-07-2003, 01:12 AM
Kate ......

NewsUser wrote:

"Hope Munro Smith" wrote in message
. 83...
Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to California from Texas,

My condolences....

My husband and I were traveling from Ohio to CA. in the late eighties.
We were in a motor home. They ask if we had any fruit are plants. I
said, no. Forgetting we did have fruit in the fridge. They searched the
motor home and took grapes and oranges. Told us we were welcome to pull
over to the side and eat it . Otherwise it was to be thrown on their
pile. They did take it.

Old 24-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Starlord

If you have an address for postal mail, take and the day before you leave, clean
soil away, pack'm up and ship them via 1st class mail and you'll get them ok and
ready for planting.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Hope Munro Smith" wrote in message
. 83...
Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to California from Texas, and we are
getting contradictory information about whether or which plants we can take
with us. My understanding is that you can take houseplants that have not
spent time outdoors or at least don't have any critters like fire ants in
them. Does anyone have experience with the border check point and what the
procedure is? I don't want to bring a bunch of plants and then have them
thrown out at the border, I'd rather give them away. Thanks for your help!

until soon, Hope

Old 24-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Jan Flora

In article , Hope Munro
Smith wrote:

Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to California from Texas, and we are
getting contradictory information about whether or which plants we can take
with us. My understanding is that you can take houseplants that have not
spent time outdoors or at least don't have any critters like fire ants in
them. Does anyone have experience with the border check point and what the
procedure is? I don't want to bring a bunch of plants and then have them
thrown out at the border, I'd rather give them away. Thanks for your help!

until soon, Hope

See if you can have your plants inspected by an ag agent before you leave TX.
The plants need to be insect and disease free. It's not a big deal, but bringing
new bugs/diseases into Calif. could be. The ag agent would probably give you
a piece of paper that says your plants are clean.

Yes, the border cops in Calif. will ask you about plants. They're trying to keep
bugs/diseases out of the state. It's a big deal, since California is the
food basket
of America.

The last time I drove into Canada from Washington state, they took away a bag
of #1 non-certified potatos. They're trying to keep the potato blight out
of Canada,
and it's present in WA state. (That's the spud blight that caused a
million Irish to
starve to death, and another 1.6 million to move to America in the 1880's. Two
pairs of my great-grandparents left Ireland because of the pratie famine. Our
family who stayed behind all died of starvation.)

Take the plant inspection stuff seriously, because it *is* serious. Don't import
anything with bugs or disease. Call your state ag dept. and ask for an
inspection
or ask them what procedure they recommend. You may be able to ask the border
guys in Calif. for an inspection.

Jan
Old 24-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Hope Munro Smith

(Jan Flora) wrote in
:

In article , Hope
Munro Smith wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's why I'm posting to various gardening groups asking advice.
Sorry if I appear neurotic, I really don't want to have my plants tossed
in the garbage when I reach California! I'm leaning towards giving them
ALL away at this point!
Old 25-07-2003, 03:02 AM
Charles

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:41:52 +0000 (UTC), Hope Munro Smith
wrote:

Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to California from Texas, and we are
getting contradictory information about whether or which plants we can take
with us. My understanding is that you can take houseplants that have not
spent time outdoors or at least don't have any critters like fire ants in
them. Does anyone have experience with the border check point and what the
procedure is? I don't want to bring a bunch of plants and then have them
thrown out at the border, I'd rather give them away. Thanks for your help!

until soon, Hope

I've brought nursery plants into California from Oregon, I told them I
had nursery plants and they said fine.

The last time I came through, last Sunday, the inspection station was
not even manned. this was on I-5 from Oregon.

--

- Charles
-
Old 25-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

wrote:

My husband and I are relocating to California from Texas, and we are
getting contradictory information about whether or which plants we can take
with us.

I've brought nursery plants into California from Oregon, I told them I
had nursery plants and they said fine.

The last time I came through, last Sunday, the inspection station was
not even manned. this was on I-5 from Oregon.

The object, as Hope indicated, is not to 'sneak' plants into Calif.,
but to find information on what can/cannot be brought in.

Hope -- have you discovered:

http://134.186.235.120/phpps/pe/faq_hse_plnts.htm

This is the CA dept. of ag's FAQ on your question.

Old 25-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Hope Munro Smith

Frogleg wrote in
:

wrote:

My husband and I are relocating to California from Texas, and we are
getting contradictory information about whether or which plants we
can take with us.

I've brought nursery plants into California from Oregon, I told them I
had nursery plants and they said fine.

The last time I came through, last Sunday, the inspection station was
not even manned. this was on I-5 from Oregon.

The object, as Hope indicated, is not to 'sneak' plants into Calif.,
but to find information on what can/cannot be brought in.

Hope -- have you discovered:

http://134.186.235.120/phpps/pe/faq_hse_plnts.htm

This is the CA dept. of ag's FAQ on your question.

Yes, I have looked at this, and it is very ambiguous. Basically, it says
you can try to bring whatever you like, but we may dump it on the side of
the road if we don't like the looks of it.
Old 25-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Philip

"Hope Munro Smith" wrote in message Yes, I have looked
at this, and it is very ambiguous. Basically, it says
you can try to bring whatever you like, but we may dump it on the side of
the road if we don't like the looks of it.

I think the main thing they're looking for is unwanted bugs, such as fire
ants (dear God make sure you're not bringing any, please) and fruit flies.
Fruit plants are usually the most looked at, and from what you're talking
about bringing I don't think you'll have a problem.

Now then, where in our fine state is your final destination?

Philip

Old 25-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Hope Munro Smith

"Philip" wrote in

"Hope Munro Smith" wrote in message Yes, I have
looked at this, and it is very ambiguous. Basically, it says
you can try to bring whatever you like, but we may dump it on the
side of the road if we don't like the looks of it.

I think the main thing they're looking for is unwanted bugs, such as
fire ants (dear God make sure you're not bringing any, please) and
fruit flies. Fruit plants are usually the most looked at, and from
what you're talking about bringing I don't think you'll have a
problem.

Don't worry, no fire ants! Those things are evil!

Now then, where in our fine state is your final destination?

Fresno
Old 26-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Frogleg

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:49:26 +0000 (UTC), Hope Munro Smith
wrote:

Frogleg wrote in
:

Hope -- have you discovered:

http://134.186.235.120/phpps/pe/faq_hse_plnts.htm

This is the CA dept. of ag's FAQ on your question.

Yes, I have looked at this, and it is very ambiguous. Basically, it says
you can try to bring whatever you like, but we may dump it on the side of
the road if we don't like the looks of it.

Did you notice that the page has a phone # and e-mail address for
questions? Although they may be of as much use as the IRS hotline
that doesn't excuse you from prosecution if you follow their advice
and it's wrong, at least it's better than getting "I think I read once
that..." answers in the newsgroup.
Old 26-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Hope Munro Smith

In article ,
Frogleg wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:49:26 +0000 (UTC), Hope Munro Smith
wrote:

Frogleg wrote in
:

Hope -- have you discovered:

http://134.186.235.120/phpps/pe/faq_hse_plnts.htm

This is the CA dept. of ag's FAQ on your question.

Yes, I have looked at this, and it is very ambiguous. Basically, it says
you can try to bring whatever you like, but we may dump it on the side of
the road if we don't like the looks of it.

Did you notice that the page has a phone # and e-mail address for
questions? Although they may be of as much use as the IRS hotline
that doesn't excuse you from prosecution if you follow their advice
and it's wrong, at least it's better than getting "I think I read once
that..." answers in the newsgroup.

Yes, I did email the agent. She gave me an idea of how long it takes to
get through the checkpoint, and that they are basically looking for bugs
and disease. Here is what she said:

"The inspection process is usually quite fast, and may involve only a
few questions by the agricultural inspector. If the inspector does look
at your plants and sees an insect or disease of concern, the material is
confiscated which does not take very long."

So I feel better. I am *only* taking plants that have spent their lives
inside, so I think I'll be fine.